Subject: [Ietf-calsify] Section 4.8.8.1 Non-standard Properties: Parameters allowed on x-prop

From: bernard.desruisseaux at oracle.com (Bernard Desruisseaux)
Date: Tue Sep 19 08:23:35 2006

In section 4.8.8.1 Non-standard Properties of RFC 2445 it says:

 > The data type for this property
 > is TEXT. Optionally, the data type can be any of the other valid data
 > types.
 >
 > Format Definition: The property is defined by the following notation:
 >
 >  x-prop     = x-name *(";" xparam) [";" languageparam] ":" text CRLF
 >     ; Lines longer than 75 octets should be folded

In my opinion x-prop should allow any parameter defined by iCalendar
as well as any iana-param.  There is no reason to invent an xparam
if there already exists a parameter that can be used.

While "the data type [of an x-prop] can be any of the other valid data
type", one would currently not be allowed to specify the VALUE parameter
to specify the value type of the property. Here's an example, found on
the web, that I believe should be valid:

   X-WD-NEXT-ALARM;VALUE=DATE-TIME:20040927T153000

[ Actually, this example would still be invalid since WinDate didn't use
a "vendor identification" of at least 3 characters. See the vendorid
rule in section 4.1 Content Lines. ]

Cheers,
Bernard

---

From: alexey.melnikov at isode.com (Alexey Melnikov)
Date: Thu Sep 21 04:12:07 2006

> if there already exists a parameter that can be used.

This make sense.