Subject: [Capwap] Additions #16 - Firmware Distribution

From: "Saravanan Govindan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 18:12:24 +0800

Additions #16 - Firmware Distribution

Issue: 

Replace subsections as full objectives so they can be reviewed independently. Replace parts of
subsection-5.2.5i-'Configuration Consistency' as a separate objective titled 'Firmware
Distribution'.

Proposed change: 

Classification: Operational                                                  

Priority: Mandatory                                                                                 

Description: 

One specific aspect of configuration consistency is the firmware used by various WTPs. The scale of
large WLANs introduces possibilities for variations in the firmware used among WTPs. This objective
highlights the need for the CAPWAP protocol to deliver the appropriate versions of firmware to WTPs.

Protocol Requirement: 

The CAPWAP protocol must support delivery of firmware updates.                                      

Motivation and Protocol Benefits: 

The CAPWAP protocol interfaces many WTPs to a centralized controller. Firmware distribution allows
these interfaces to appropriately equivalent thereby allowing for reduced complexity.

Relation to Problem Statement: 

Inconsistencies in the configuration of WTPs has been identified as a major challenge for
large-scale WTPs. This objectives helps overcome the challenge by providing for a way of WTPs to
operate under equivalent versions of firmware. 

_______________________________________________
Capwap mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mail.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap