Subject: [Capwap] Additions #17 - Statistics

From: "Saravanan Govindan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 18:14:40 +0800

Additions #17 - Statistics

Issue: 

Replace subsections as full objectives so they can be reviewed independently. Replace
subsection-5.2.5ii-'System-wide Resource State' as a separate objective titled 'System-wide Resource
State'.

Proposed change: 
 
Classification: Operational                                                  

Priority: Mandatory                                                                                

Description: 

The centralized WLAN architecture is made up of a switching segment and wireless medium segment. In
the switching segment, network congestion, WTP status and firmware information have to be monitored.
In the wireless medium segment, the dynamic nature of the medium itself has to be monitored.
Overall, there are also various statistics that are required for operation.

The CAPWAP protocol should be capable of monitoring various information sources. Moreover, given the
relationship among information sources, CAPWAP should combine information from them. For example,
statistics information may be merged with status signals.                    
                                                                                          
Some of the statistics information include; congestion state, interference levels, WTP load, loss
rates and various delay factors.

Protocol Requirement: The CAPWAP protocol must allow for the exchange of statistics, congestion and
other WLAN state information.                                                     

Motivation and Protocol Benefits: 

The effectivness of a protocol is based on the relevance of informaiton on which it operates. This
objectve for system-wide resource monitoring can provide the appropriate information to the CAPWAP
protocol.                                                          

Relation to Problem Statement: 

The Problem Statement highlights the problem of dealing with a large number of WTPs and the dynamic
nature of the wireless medium. Information on the state of WTPs and the medium is important to deal
with them effectively. So this objective relates to the problem of managing consistency in large
WLANs. 

_______________________________________________
Capwap mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mail.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap