Subject: [Capwap] Additions #11 - Multiple Authentication Mechanisms

From: "Saravanan Govindan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 17:55:13 +0800

Additions #11 - Multiple Authentication Mechanisms

Issue: 

Replace subsections as full objectives so they can be reviewed independently. Replace
subsection-5.2.3iii-'Multiple Authentication Mechanisms' as a separate objective titled 'Multiple
Authentication Mechanisms'.

Proposed change: 

Classification: Architecture                                                     

Priority: Desirable                                                            

Description: 

Shared WLAN infrastructure raise the issue of multiple authentication mechanisms. This is because
each logical  group is likely to consist of users belonging to different service providers or to
different WLAN domains. As a result, their authentication needs will be different. While CAPWAP is
required to support IEEE 802.11i, it is also necessary for it   to support other authentication
mechanisms. For example, one logical group may use IEEE 802.11i while another may use web
authentication. CAPWAP must be able to operate in such shared WLANs.

Protocol Requirement: The CAPWAP protocol must support different authentication mechanisms in
addition to IEEE 802.11i.

Motivation and Protocol Benefits: 

The benefit of supporting various authentication mechanisms is that the protocol then becomes
flexible for use in various deployments. The protocol therefore does not mandate the use of any
particular mechanisms which may not be appropriate.

Relation to Problem Statement: 

This objective relates to the problem of management complexity. Shared WLAN infrastructure
simplifies management of large WLANs.                                             

_______________________________________________
Capwap mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mail.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap