Subject: [Capwap] Updated LWAPP spec

From: "Pat Calhoun" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 16:43:52 -0700

All,
 
I wanted to provide an update to the Working Group on the new LWAPP
specification that was posted last Friday
(http://www.capwap.org/DraftsForEvaluation/draft-ohara-capwap-lwapp-03.txt).
This document emcompasses changes resulting from the security review, as
well as changes to match the latest CAPWAP objectives specification.
Further, we have not only added technical changes, but also included a
significant number of changes describing behavioral recommendations that
would improve implementations and help ensure interoperability. Here are the
major changes introduced in this new version:

- New State Machine now requires the use of the Join Confirm to provide
explicit key confirmation (section 2.2, 6.3 and 6.4). Previously, the Join
Confirm was only required for pre-shared key
- New Key Update process now works very similarly to Join Confirm, where an
additional round trip was included to provide explicit key confirmation
(section 2.2, 6.9 and 6.10)
- Support for IPv6 
- Additional text to cover QoS handling of LWAPP Control Frames and 802.11
MAC Management Frames (sections 4.2.3 and 11.5, respectively)
- Additional text covering configuration consistency (section 7.1).
- Cleaned up text discussion LWAPP control frame encryption (section 10.2)
- New X.509 and Pre-Shared Key key exchange. The approach is consistent with
the comments provided during the security review, and has been reviewed by
Charles Clancy. The text describing the whole key exchange has been
significantly upgraded to ease readability (sections 10..3)
- X.509 Certificate Profile to address a comment in the security review
(section 10.4)
- Division of Labor providing clear text and figures showing the behavior of
a Split vs. Local MAC WTP/AC (section 11.1)
- Recommended text on dealing with 802.11i for roaming stations, as
recommended in the security review (section 11.2)
- Recommended text on BSSID/WLAN Id mapping (section 11.4)
- NAT Considerations section was added (section 14)
- Required changes to the Security Considerations section to handle the new
key exchange text (section 15)
 
We have also submitted a new LWAPP Self Evaluation document to match the
changes listed above
(http://www.capwap.org/DraftsForEvaluation/draft-calhoun-capwap-lwapp-object
ives-comparison-01.txt). The authors believe that protocol is now in
compliance with all CAPWAP objectives.
 
While we believe that the previous version of the LWAPP specification was
very complete, we believe that the changes made resulting from the security
review and the CAPWAP objectives specification have made the protocol much
better, and for this we'd like to thank Charles Clancy and the Working
Group.

Pat Calhoun
CTO, Wireless Networking Business Unit
Cisco Systems

_______________________________________________
Capwap mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mail.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap