Subject: [Capwap] CAPWAP Protocol Attributes

From: "Saravanan Govindan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 10:06:14 +0800

All,

The recent discussions on the Evaluation draft recommendations are of
great use. 

At the same time, it is important to realize that there are other
recommendations made in the Evaluation draft. It would be of great use
towards protocol development to list these other protocol attributes and
capabilities based on the evaluation. 

For example, Section 6.5 of the Evaluation highlights the need to
incororate firmware checks independent of other functions. This needs to
be included in the list of recommended attributes for the final
protocol.

Also, there was a recent discussion on how sequence counters are managed
for the IEEE 802.11i key handshake in the CAPWAP framework. This is an
important attribute for the protocol. 

One way to capture all of these is to extend the recommendations section
(Section 9) with a list of recommended attributes. This helps focus WG
efforts towards producing a solid protocol.

Saravanan 
_______________________________________________
Capwap mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mail.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap

---

From: "Richard Gwee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 13:25:11 +0800

Hi,

I feel that the CAPWAP comparative analysis document does recommend some
protocol attributes to be used. This list may be extended to the
recommendation section of evaluation draft.

A brief list of the recommended attributes found in the CAPWAP
comparative analysis is as follows:

1) Logical Group Objective - The final CAPWAP protocol should be able to
provide a highly structured form of logical groupings. For example, VLAN
ID for the wired aspects and BSSIDs in the wireless aspects could be
mapped and tagged to packets and routing tables.

2) Firmware Trigger Objective - The final CAPWAP protocol should be able
to trigger firmware checks and updates in any states of the state
machine. This can be done via frequent messaging and be made independent
of other protocol operations.

3) IEEE 802.11i Considerations - The final CAPWAP protocol should be
able to manage Key RSC counter in scenarios where counter is maintained
by WTP. In the CAPWAP comparative analysis document, it has been
mentioned that such management should be described explicitly and
clearly. Others on the mailing list has also raised this issue. I felt
that this is an important aspect to be seen in relation to LWAPP.

4) Logical Group Objective - The final CAPWAP protocol should be able to
provide a highly structured form of logical groupings. For example, VLAN
ID for the wired aspects and BSSIDs in the wireless aspects could be
mapped and tagged to packets and routing tables.

5) Monitoring and Exchange of System-wide resource states - The final
CAPWAP protocol should collect state information from both wired and
wireless aspects of the entire network. 

6) CAPWAP security - Existing security mechanisms such as DTLS could be
used to reduce review work. Of course, this issue has been highlighted
in the mailing list over the implementation of DTLS in LWAPP.

Appreciate any comments from the mailing list.

Thanks and regards
Richard Gwee

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Saravanan Govindan
Sent: Thursday, October 06, 2005 10:06 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Capwap] CAPWAP Protocol Attributes

All,

Saravanan 

Republic Polytechnic, Tanglin Campus, 1 Kay Siang Road, Singapore 248922 . Website: www.rp.sg . Fax: +65 6415-1310 .

From April 2006, we will be located in our new home at 9 Woodlands Avenue 9,Singapore 738964 
Republic Polytechnic, the first Institute of Higher Learning to fully adopt the Problem-Based Learning approach in Singapore, continues to strive towards best practices and maintain excellence in service standards with the following certifications: Singapore Quality Class (SQC) certification, People Developer Standards and QEHS standards (ISO 9001, 14001 and OHSAS 18001 certifications).
---------------------------------------------------------------------
CONFIDENTIALITY CAUTION: This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and contains information that is privileged and confidential. If you, the reader of this message, are not the intended recipient, you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this communication. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by return email and delete the original message. Thank you.