Subject: [Capwap] Local MAC Tunneling Mode

From: "Saravanan Govindan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 12:43:13 +0800

Pat, 

Thank you for summarizing the major recommendations. 

The following is some proposed additions relating to the local MAC
tunneling mode recommendation. In essence, it adds identifiers for the
WTP variations and their modes of operation. I look forward to the WG's
review on this.

Section: 5.1      Discover Request 

Type of change: Additional text after 1st paragraph, ("The Discovery
Request is used by the WTP...")

Proposal: 

                        "The Discovery Request provides ACs with primary
functionalities of the WTP. A WTP must exchange this information to
ensure subsequent exchanges with the ACs are consistent with the WTP's
functional characteristics."

            ------------------

            Section: 5         LWAPP Discovery Operations 

Type of change: Additional message elements

Proposal-1:

            "5.1.3               WTP MAC-Type

The WTP MAC-Type message element distinguishes between local-MAC and
split-MAC WTPs. It is used by the AC to determine subsequent exchanges
with the WTP.

Type: 

Length: 1

MAC-Type: An 8-bits value indicating the type of MAC used by the WTP. 

The following values are supported:

0 - Split-MAC

1 - Local-MAC"

            Proposal-2:

                        "5.1.4               WTP Frame Type

The WTP Frame Type message element is used to determine the nature of
frames to be exchanged between the AC and WTP.

Type: 

Length: 1

Frame Type: An 8-bits value indicating the type of frames to be
exchanged between the AC and WTP. 

The following values are supported:

0 - Native frames 

1 - Tunneled frames (IEEE 802.3)

2 - No frames (local bridge at WTP)"

            ---------------------

            Section: 7.1                  Configuration Consistency 

Type of change: Addition of sub-section to Section 7.1 

Proposal: 

            "7.1.1               Configuration Flexibility

"The protocol also provides the flexibility to configure and manage WTPs
of varying design and functional characteristics. When a WTP first
discovers an AC, it provides primary functional information relating to
its type of MAC and to the nature of frames to be exchanged. The AC
configures the WTP appropriately. The AC also establishes corresponding
internal operations to deal with the WTP according to its
functionalities."

            ----------------------

It may be useful to use a figure to show how the modes are selected and
what happens afterwards. I can help prepare one if there is agreement to
do so.

Saravanan 

_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap

Archives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/capwap