Subject: Re: [Capwap] Encryption Capabilities

From: "Pat Calhoun (pacalhou)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 10:56:18 -0700

> The desire to support broader backhauls (wireless, Internet, 
> hostile network, etc) of the CAPWAP link has fueled interest 
> in securing the data plane.  If people really do want a 
> fully-secured data plane, it does indeed need to flow over a 
> DTLS-protected channel.

And for those environments, one wonders why we need to provide
both 802.11i *and* DTLS... Doesn't DTLS provide a superset of 802.11i
and therefore covers all cases one would worry about with regards to
the latter??

Pat Calhoun
CTO, Wireless Networking Business Unit
Cisco Systems
_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap

Archives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/capwap

---

From: Charles Clancy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 14:16:27 -0400

> and therefore covers all cases one would worry about with regards to

Yes, DTLS provides a superset of security, but also triples the 
computational requirements.  My point is that in many cases, the subset 
of security offered by 11i encryption is sufficient.

--
t. charles clancy, ph.d.  |  [email-masked]  |  www.cs.umd.edu/~clancy