Subject: [Capwap] QoS for Control Messages Clarity

From: "Kraus, Michael" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 17:18:59 -0500

There does appear to be a slight discrepancy between 4.3.2 and 11.6.  11.6
specifies a different IP Prec/DSCP value for probe requests, where 4.3.2 does
not.

4.3.2.  Control Message Quality of Service

   It is recommended that CAPWAP control messages be sent by both the AC
   and the WTP with an appropriate Quality of Service precedence value,
   ensuring that congestion in the network minimizes occurrences of
   CAPWAP control channel disconnects.  Therefore, a Quality of Service
   enabled CAPWAP device should use the following values:

   802.1P:  The precedence value of 7 SHOULD be used.

   DSCP:  The DSCP tag value of 46 SHOULD be used.

11.6.  Quality of Service for Control Messages

   It is recommended that IEEE 802.11 MAC management frames be sent by
   both the AC and the WTP with appropriate Quality of Service values,
   ensuring that congestion in the network minimizes occurrences of
   packet loss.  Therefore, a Quality of Service enabled CAPWAP device
   should use:

   802.1P:  The precedence value of 6 SHOULD be used for all IEEE 802.11
      MAC management frames, except for Probe Requests which SHOULD use
      4.

   DSCP:  The DSCP tag value of 46 SHOULD be used for all IEEE 802.11
      MAC management frames, except for Probe Requests which SHOULD use
      34.

Mike Kraus
Sr. Network Engineer
Applied Information Systems
Cellular Phone (314) 575-0968
Nextel direct connect: 140*1*31368
Providing solutions for ABI, Brewing Operations & Technology, Engineering

The information transmitted (including attachments) is
covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act,
18 U.S.C. 2510-2521, is intended only for the person(s) or
entity/entities to which it is addressed and may contain
confidential and/or privileged material. Any review,
retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking
of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons
or entities other than the intended recipient(s) is prohibited.
If you received this in error, please contact the sender and
delete the material from any computer.

_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap

Archives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/capwap

---

From: "Michael Montemurro" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 22:14:18 -0400

Michael,

This was captured earler in as issue 100. I updated the text in -02 to make
11.6 consistent with 4.3.2.

However section 4.3.2 refers to CAPWAP control frames and section 11.6refers to
802.11 Management frames, which are treated as CAPWAP data frames.

Cheers,

Mike

On 6/8/06, Kraus, Michael <[email-masked]> wrote:
> specifies a different IP Prec/DSCP value for probe requests, where 4.3.2does
> not.
>