Subject: [Capwap] Issue with state machine

From: "Pat Calhoun (pacalhou)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 06:23:04 -0700

I just noticed that the latest specification's state machine requires
that in order to perform a firmware download, the state must transition
from the join to configure to image data. This is a departure from the
original protocol, and I believe introduces some challenges. One of the
benefits of bypassing the configure state is that it maximizes
interoperability across version numbers. If we require the configure
state to be run, then we need to ensure that the configure message does
not introduce any new message elements that can create a backward
compatiblity issue. However, the way the protocol used to be only
required that the Join state have to deal with backward compatibility.
 
I'd like to see this changed back to the old way. Sorry I missed this in
my reviews.

Pat Calhoun
CTO, Wireless Networking Business Unit
Cisco Systems

_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap

Archives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/capwap

---

From: "Michael Montemurro" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 10:12:28 -0400

Pat,

I re-openned issue 85 to deal with this issue.

Cheers,

Mike

On 6/27/06, Pat Calhoun (pacalhou) <[email-masked]> wrote:
> that in order to perform a firmware download, the state must transition from
> the join to configure to image data. This is a departure from the original
> protocol, and I believe introduces some challenges. One of the benefits of
> bypassing the configure state is that it maximizes interoperability across
> version numbers. If we require the configure state to be run, then we need
> to ensure that the configure message does not introduce any new message
> elements that can create a backward compatiblity issue. However, the way the
> protocol used to be only required that the Join state have to deal with
> backward compatibility.
>