Subject: [Capwap] Proposed Resolution for Issue 74: "About IEEE 802.11 Binding"

From: "Dorothy Stanley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 13:40:07 -0700

All,

Issue 74 is listed below, and proposes text changes to 2 sections, the
IEEE 802.11 WLAN Config Response message (now 11.7.2) and the Mobile
Configuration
Response Message (now 10.2).
Proposed Resolutions are included below.

Comments welcome.

Thanks,

Dorothy

Issue 74 Part 1: Because different product has different process
mechanism, LWAPP need give
clear description about process.
And if "IEEE 802.11 WLAN Configuration Response" also has a Result Code
message element as "Mobile Config Response", 802.11 protocol may be better to
control WLAN configuration.
I suggest:

>11.8.2  IEEE 802.11 WLAN Config Response
>
>   The IEEE 802.11 WLAN Configuration Response is sent by the WTP to the
>   AC as an acknowledgement of the receipt of an IEEE 802.11 WLAN
>   Configuration Request.
>   This LWAPP control message does not include any message elements.

change to:
11.8.2  IEEE 802.11 WLAN Config Response
    The IEEE 802.11 WLAN Configuration Response is sent by the WTP to the
    AC as an acknowledgement of the receipt of an IEEE 802.11 WLAN
    Configuration Request.

    Before this LWAPP control message is sent, the IEEE 802.11 WLAN
    Cofiguration should be successfully implemented.

    This LWAPP control message does not include any message elements.

Proposed Resolution:

Change the current -01 text  from:
11.7.2.  IEEE 802.11 WLAN Config Response

   The IEEE 802.11 WLAN Configuration Response is sent by the AC to the
   WTP as an acknowledgement of the receipt of an IEEE 802.11 WLAN
   Configuration Request.

   The following message elements may be included in the IEEE 802.11
   WLAN Config Request message.  Only one message element MUST be
   present.

   o  IEEE 802.11 Assigned WTP BSSID, see Section 11.10.3

to

11.7.2.  IEEE 802.11 WLAN Configuration Response

   The IEEE 802.11 WLAN Configuration Response message is sent by the WTP to the
   AC. It is used to acknowledge receipt of an IEEE 802.11 WLAN
   Configuration Request message, and to indicate if the requested
   configuration was successfully applied, or if an error related to
the processing
   of the IEEE 802.11 WLAN Configuration Request message occurred on the
   WTP.

   The following message element MAY be included in the IEEE 802.11
   WLAN Config Response message.

   o  IEEE 802.11 Assigned WTP BSSID, see Section 11.10.3

   The following message element MUST be included in the IEEE 802.11
   WLAN Config Request message.  Only one message element MUST be
   present.

   o  Result Code, see Section 4.4.29

Issue 74 Part 2:
>9.2  Mobile Config Response
>
>   The Mobile Configuration Response is used to acknowledge a previously
>   received Mobile Configuration Request, and includes a Result Code
>   message element which indicates whether an error occured on the WTP.
>
>   This message requires no special processing, and is only used to
>   acknowledge the Mobile Configuration Request.
>

change to:
9.2  Mobile Config Response

   The Mobile Configuration Response is used to acknowledge a previously
   received Mobile Configuration Request, and includes a Result Code
   message element, see Section 4.4.29 which indicates whether an
error occured on the WTP.

   Before this message is sent, the Mobile Cofiguration should be implemented.
   The Result Code indicate if Mobile Cofiguration is successfully on WTP.

   This message requires no special processing, and is only used to
   acknowledge the Mobile Configuration Request.

Proposed Resolution:
Change the Current -01 text from:

10.2.  Mobile Config Response

   The Mobile Configuration Response message is used to acknowledge a
   previously received Mobile Configuration Request message, and MUST
   include a Result Code message element, see Section 4.4.29 which
   indicates whether an error occurred on the WTP.

   This message requires no special processing, and is only used to
   acknowledge receipt of the Mobile Configuration Request message.

to

10.2.  Mobile Configuration Response

   The Mobile Configuration Response message is used to acknowledge a
   previously received Mobile Configuration Request message. The following
   message element MUST be present in the Mobile Configuration Response message.

   o  Result Code, see Section 4.4.29

   The Result Code message element indicates that the requested configuration
   was successfully applied, or that an error related to processing of the
   Mobile Configuration Request message occurred on the WTP.
_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap

Archives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/capwap

---

From: "David T. Perkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 14:25:04 -0700 (PDT)

HI,

There is a fundamental flaw with the config request/response
messages in CAPWAP-01, and that is config changes can fail.
When they do, the CAPWAP-01 does not say what is the result
and how the error(s) are returned.
The config changes can be "all or nothing". Or they could
be one of the many partial applications. Also, in a failure,
are the values assumed to be checked (and applied) strictly
sequentially as found in the request, or can the values
be checked (and applied) in an implementation defined
order. What if there are more than one failure. What
if the values when applied individually will work, but
not together?

I believe that the config operations need much more work.

Also, when this is rewritten, I don't believe that using
the term "LWAPP" is appropriate!

Regards,
/david t. perkins

---

From: "Dorothy Stanley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 06:45:46 -0700

David,

Comments inline.

Thanks,

Dorothy

> messages in CAPWAP-01, and that is config changes can fail.

Agree that application of the configuration request messages can fail.

> and how the error(s) are returned.

In -01, the Mobile Config Request returns an error result, while the
IEEE 802.11 WLAN Configuration Response does not.
My interpretation of Comment 74 is that the commenter is asking to
make these 2 consistent, and have both return a result code.
I believe that this is a resonable request. There may still be
additional work needed beyond the scope of this issue.

> if the values when applied individually will work, but

The proposed change here is to simply indicate that a failure
occurred.

Don't disagree, there are already other issues open for this.

> the term "LWAPP" is appropriate!

Certainly agree. The legacy terminology is
part of the original comment, which was opened back in February.

Regards,