Subject: [Capwap] Proposed Resolution To Issue 106 Pre-amble Length Configuration/ wasRe: some suggestion for 802.11 binding TLV (Dorothy Stanley)

From: "Dorothy Stanley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 11:11:40 -0700

All,

Issue 106 is provided below, and the discussion to date is in the attached
mail.

Issue 106:

Because CAPWAP provide the definition of 802.11 binding, the common
configuration for AP came from different vendors should defined by draft. I felt
something like "Preamble-length" configuration need to be added into draft.

Proposed Resolution: Provide an option to turn short preamble on/off.

Background: The short preamble is optional, and is typically allowed to be
turned off. Long
preamble is mandatory, and is used to send 1Mbps frames.

In the IEEE 802.11 WTP Radio Configuration Message Element, use the
8-bit reserved field to turn use of the short pre-amble on or off:

Change from:

 11.10.24  IEEE 802.11 WTP Radio Configuration

   The WTP WLAN radio configuration is used by the AC to configure a
   Radio on the WTP, and by the WTP to deliver its radio configuration
   to the AC.  The message element value contains the following fields:

         0                   1                   2                   3
         0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
       +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
       |    Radio ID   |    Reserved   | Num of BSSIDs |  DTIM Period  |
       +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
       |                            BSSID                              |
       +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
       |          BSSID                |      Beacon Period            |
       +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
       |                         Country Code                          |
       +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

   Type:  1047 for IEEE 802.11 WTP WLAN Radio Configuration

   Length:  16

   Radio ID:  An 8-bit value representing the radio to configure.

   Reserved:  MUST be set to zero

to

11.10.24 IEEE 802.11 WTP Radio Configuration

   The WTP WLAN radio configuration is used by the AC to configure a
   Radio on the WTP, and by the WTP to deliver its radio configuration
   to the AC.  The message element value contains the following fields:

         0                   1                   2                   3
         0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
       +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
       |    Radio ID   |Short Preamble | Num of BSSIDs |  DTIM Period  |
       +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
       |                            BSSID                              |
       +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
       |          BSSID                |      Beacon Period            |
       +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
       |                         Country Code                          |
       +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

   Type:  1047 for IEEE 802.11 WTP WLAN Radio Configuration

   Length:  16

   Radio ID:  An 8-bit value representing the radio to configure.

   Short Preamble:  A bit field indicating that the short preamble
            is not supported (0) or supported (1).

On 4/27/06, young <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>  Dear All:
>
>
>
> I give more detailed suggestion about the following requirement:
>

<snip>

>
> 2) New TLV "Preamble-length"
>
> a) Why we need it?
>
> "Preamble-length" is basic configuration for most vendor's AP product. As
> CAPWAP will provide 802.11 binding element, it should support the common
> 802.11 configuration that most vendor support.
>
> b) The TLV could be carried in the "Configure Update request, configure
> request, configure response"
>
> c) The TLV format
>
> The CAPWAP already has TLV IEEE 802.11 MAC operation, and we could add one
> more element named "Preamble-length". The value for it could be:
>
>       1 – short (default)
>
>       2 - long
>
_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap

Archives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/capwap