Subject: [Capwap] AD review ofdraft-ietf-capwap-protocol-binding-ieee80211-06 T1

From: "Pat Calhoun (pacalhou)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 05:15:08 -0700

The AD review comment is:

   T1. Section 2.1.1 and 2.1.2 - What version of IEEE 802.1X is this
document supporting? I believe 
   that this needs to be clarified, as IEEE 802.1X is currently under
revision, and the document 
   needs to be included as a Normative reference. 

That is correct, so I am adding the proper references. I also just now
noticed that we were referring to version 1999 of the 802.11 spec, which
is incorrect. We had agreed that we would use the 2007 version of the
spec. I am therefore also making that change.

<text>
2.1.1.  Split MAC
[...]
   All remaining IEEE 802.11 MAC management frames are supported on the
   AC, including the Association Request frame which allows the AC to be
   involved in the access policy enforcement portion of the IEEE 802.11
   protocol.  The IEEE 802.1X [IEEE.802-1X.2004] and IEEE RSNA Key
   Management [IEEE.802-11I.2004] functions are also located on the AC.
   This implies that the AAA client also resides on the AC.
[...]
   Upon receiving data
   frames from the AC, the WTP is responsible for adding the FCS field,
   and populating the field as described in [IEEE.802-11.2007].

2.1.2.  Local MAC
[...]
   The IEEE 802.1X [IEEE.802-1X.2004] and IEEE RSNA Key Management
   [IEEE.802-11I.2004] functions reside in the AC.  Therefore, the WTP
   MUST forward all IEEE 802.1X/RSNA Key Management frames to the AC and
   forward the corresponding responses to the station.  This implies
   that the AAA client also resides on the AC.

12.1.  Normative References
[...]
   [IEEE.802-11.2007]
              "Information technology - Telecommunications and
              information exchange between systems - Local and
              metropolitan area networks - Specific requirements - Part
              11: Wireless LAN Medium Access Control (MAC) and Physical
              Layer (PHY) specifications", IEEE Standard 802.11, 2007, <
              http://standards.ieee.org/getieee802/download/
              802.11-2007.pdf>.

   [IEEE.802-1X.2004]
              "Information technology - Telecommunications and
              information exchange between systems - Local and
              metropolitan area networks - Specific requirements - Port-
              Based Network Access Control", IEEE Standard 802.1X, 2004,
              <http://standards.ieee.org/getieee802/download/
              802.1X-2004.pdf>.
</text>

PatC
_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap

Archives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/capwap

---

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 12:54:21 +0200

OK with me. 

Dan

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Pat Calhoun (pacalhou) [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Friday, June 27, 2008 3:15 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Capwap] AD 
> reviewofdraft-ietf-capwap-protocol-binding-ieee80211-06 T1
> 
>    T1. Section 2.1.1 and 2.1.2 - What version of IEEE 802.1X 
> is this document supporting? I believe 
>    that this needs to be clarified, as IEEE 802.1X is 
> currently under revision, and the document 
> That is correct, so I am adding the proper references. I also 
> just now noticed that we were referring to version 1999 of 
> the 802.11 spec, which is incorrect. We had agreed that we 
> would use the 2007 version of the spec. I am therefore also 
> making that change.
> 
> <text>
> 2.1.1.  Split MAC
> [...]