Subject: [Capwap] CAPWAP IESG Review Comment T20

From: "Pat Calhoun (pacalhou)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 08:35:55 -0700

All,
 
Here is the IESG Review Comment:
 
   T20 - Section 4.6.16, 4.6.17, 4.6.33, 4.6.36, 4.6.42, 4.6.43 - why do
the encoded 
   values start from 1 and not from 0? 

There is actually no reason why the values did not start at zero. I will
make the changes to renumber the values to start at zero (0). The only
one I disagree with is 4.6.43, because this is a bit field, but I
noticed that the text did not explicitely call for a bit field, so I
also made the necessary change.

<text>
4.6.16.  Data Transfer Data
[...]
   Data Type:   An 8-bit value the type of information being sent.  The
      following values are supported:

      0 -  WTP Crash Data

      1 -  WTP Memory Dump

4.6.17.  Data Transfer Mode
[...]
   Data Type:   An 8-bit value the type of information being requested.
      The following values are supported:

      0 -  WTP Crash Data

      1 -  WTP Memory Dump

4.6.33.  Radio Administrative State
[...]
   Admin State:   An 8-bit value representing the administrative state
      of the radio.  The default value for the Admin State field is
      listed in Section 4.8.1.  The following values are supported:

      0 -  Enabled

      1 -  Disabled

4.6.36.  Returned Message Element
[...]
   Reason:   The reason why the configuration in the offending message
      element could not be applied by the WTP.

      0 -  Unknown Message Element

      1 -  Unsupported Message Element

      2 -  Unknown Message Element Value

      3 -  Unsupported Message Element Value

4.6.42.  WTP Fallback
[...]

   Mode:   The 8-bit value indicates the status of automatic CAPWAP
      fallback on the WTP.  When enabled, if the WTP detects that its
      primary AC is available, and that the WTP is not connected to the
      primary AC, the WTP SHOULD automatically disconnect from its
      current AC and reconnect to its primary AC.  If disabled, the WTP
      will only reconnect to its primary AC through manual intervention
      (e.g., through the Reset Request message).  The default value for
      this field is specified in Section 4.8.10.  The following values
      are supported:

      0 -  Enabled

      1 -  Disabled

   Frame Tunnel Mode:   The Frame Tunnel mode specifies the tunneling
      modes for station data that are supported by the WTP.  The
following
      values are supported for this bit field:

<text>

PatC
_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap

Archives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/capwap

---

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 20:31:17 +0200

OK with me. 

Dan

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Pat Calhoun (pacalhou) [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Monday, June 16, 2008 6:36 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Capwap] CAPWAP IESG Review Comment T20
> 
> All,
>  
>    T20 - Section 4.6.16, 4.6.17, 4.6.33, 4.6.36, 4.6.42, 
> 4.6.43 - why do the encoded 
> There is actually no reason why the values did not start at 
> zero. I will make the changes to renumber the values to start 
> at zero (0). The only one I disagree with is 4.6.43, because 
> this is a bit field, but I noticed that the text did not 
> explicitely call for a bit field, so I also made the necessary change.
> 
> <text>
>       modes for station data that are supported by the WTP.  
> The following

---

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 11:54:08 -0400

Again, I do not see any value in renumbering fields at this point.   
We can always use 0 later if we run out...

Margaret

---

From: "Pat Calhoun (pacalhou)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 18:20:26 -0700

OK, closing issue 61.

PatC 

-----Original Message-----
From: Romascanu, Dan (Dan) [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, June 16, 2008 11:31 AM
To: Pat Calhoun (pacalhou); [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Capwap] CAPWAP IESG Review Comment T20

OK with me. 

Dan

> There is actually no reason why the values did not start at zero. I 
> will make the changes to renumber the values to start at zero (0). The

> only one I disagree with is 4.6.43, because this is a bit field, but I

---

From: "Pat Calhoun (pacalhou)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 18:40:27 -0700

OK, well I'm getting conflicting requests from the AD and the chair, so
I need the two of you to agree on a path forward.

PatC 

-----Original Message-----
From: Margaret Wasserman [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, June 17, 2008 8:54 AM
To: Pat Calhoun (pacalhou)
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Capwap] CAPWAP IESG Review Comment T20

Margaret

On Jun 16, 2008, at 11:35 AM, Pat Calhoun (pacalhou) wrote:

>    T20 - Section 4.6.16, 4.6.17, 4.6.33, 4.6.36, 4.6.42, 4.6.43 - why 
> do the encoded

---

From: "Pat Calhoun (pacalhou)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 09:27:09 -0700

OK, so given that Dan was comfortable simply marking zero (0) as
reserved for issue T5, I have made the same change for this issue, which
makes the next draft compatible with -10.

<text>
4.6.16.  Data Transfer Data
[...]
   Data Type:   An 8-bit value the type of information being sent.  The
      following enumerated values are supported:

      0 -  Reserved

      1 -  WTP Crash Data

      2 -  WTP Memory Dump 

4.6.17.  Data Transfer Mode
[...]
   Data Type:   An 8-bit value the type of information being requested.
      The following enumerated values are supported:

      0 -  Reserved

      1 -  WTP Crash Data

      2 -  WTP Memory Dump

4.6.33.  Radio Administrative State
[...]
   Admin State:   An 8-bit value representing the administrative state
      of the radio.  The default value for the Admin State field is
      listed in Section 4.8.1.  The following enumerated values are
      supported:

      0 -  Reserved

      1 -  Enabled

      2 -  Disabled

4.6.36.  Returned Message Element
[...]
   Reason:   The reason why the configuration in the offending message
      element could not be applied by the WTP.  The following enumerated
      values are supported:

      0 -  Reserved

      1 -  Unknown Message Element

      2 -  Unsupported Message Element

      3 -  Unknown Message Element Value

      4 -  Unsupported Message Element Value

4.6.42.  WTP Fallback
[...]
   Mode:   The 8-bit value indicates the status of automatic CAPWAP
      fallback on the WTP.  When enabled, if the WTP detects that its
      primary AC is available, and that the WTP is not connected to the
      primary AC, the WTP SHOULD automatically disconnect from its
      current AC and reconnect to its primary AC.  If disabled, the WTP
      will only reconnect to its primary AC through manual intervention
      (e.g., through the Reset Request message).  The default value for
      this field is specified in Section 4.8.11.  The following
      enumerated values are supported:

      0 -  Reserved

      1 -  Enabled

      2 -  Disabled
</text>

PatC
-----Original Message-----
From: Margaret Wasserman [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, June 17, 2008 8:54 AM
To: Pat Calhoun (pacalhou)
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Capwap] CAPWAP IESG Review Comment T20

Margaret