Subject: [Capwap] AD review ofdraft-ietf-capwap-protocol-binding-ieee80211-06 T3

From: "Pat Calhoun (pacalhou)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 09:22:37 -0700

The AD Review Comment is:

   T3. What is the encoding of the Capabilities or Capability field (see
also E6)?

Honestly, in order to address this I will end up having to replicate a
good portion of the 802.11 spec, which I don't think we want to do. I am
proposing a lightweight version below.

<text>
6.1.  IEEE 802.11 Add WLAN
[...]
   Capability:   A 16-bit value containing the capability information
      field to be advertised by the WTP in the Probe Request and Beacon
      frames.  Each bit of the Capability field represents a different
      WTP capability, which are described in detail in
      [IEEE.802-11.2007].  The format of the field is:

        0                   1
        0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5
       +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
       |E|I|C|F|P|S|B|A|M|Q|T|D|V|O|K|L|
       +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

      E (ESS):   The AC MUST set the ESS subfield to 1.

      I (IBSS):   The AC MUST set the IBSS subfield to 0.

      C (CF-Pollable):   The AC sets the CF-Pollable subfield based on
         the table found in [IEEE.802-11.2007].

      F (CF-Poll Request):   The AC sets the CF-Poll Request subfield
         based on the table found in [IEEE.802-11.2007].

      P (Privacy):   The AC sets the Privacy subfield based on the
         confidentiality requirements of the WLAN, as defined in
         [IEEE.802-11.2007].

      S (Short Preamble):   The AC sets the Short Preamble subfield
         based on whether the use of short preambles are permitted on
         the WLAN, as defined in [IEEE.802-11.2007].

      B (PBCC):   The AC sets the Packet Binary Convolutional Code
         (PBCC) modulation option subfield based on whether the use of
         PBCC is permitted on the WLAN, as defined in
         [IEEE.802-11.2007].

      A (Channel Agility):   The AC sets the Channel Agility subfield
         based on whether the WTP is capable of supporting the High Rate
         Direct Sequence Spread Spectrum (HR/DSSS), as defined in
         [IEEE.802-11.2007].

      M (Spectrum Management):   The AC sets the Spectrum Management
         subfield according to the value of the
         dot11SpectrumManagementRequired MIB variable, as defined in
         [IEEE.802-11.2007].

      Q (QOS):   The AC sets the QOS subfield based on the table found
         in [IEEE.802-11.2007].

      T (Short Slot Time):   The AC sets the Short Slot Timesubfield
         according to the value of the WTP's currently used slot time
         value, as defined in [IEEE.802-11.2007].

      D (APSD):   The AC sets the APSD subfield according to the value
         of the dot11APSDOptionImplemented MIB variable, as defined in
         [IEEE.802-11.2007].

      V (Reserved):   The AC sets the Reserved subfield to zero, as
         defined in [IEEE.802-11.2007].

      O (DSSS-OFDM):   The AC sets the DSSS-OFDM subfield to indicate
         the use of Direct Sequence Spread Spectrum with Orthogonal
         Frequency Division Multiplexing (DSSS-OFDM), as defined in
         [IEEE.802-11.2007].

      K (Delayed Block ACK):   The AC sets the Delayed Block ACK
         subfield according to the value of the
         dot11DelayedBlockAckOptionImplemented MIB variable, as defined
         in [IEEE.802-11.2007].

      L (Immediate Block ACK):   The AC sets the Delayed Block ACK
         subfield according to the value of the
         dot11ImmediateBlockAckOptionImplemented MIB variable, as
         defined in [IEEE.802-11.2007].

</text>

PatC
_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap

Archives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/capwap

---

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 18:25:24 +0200

OK with me. 

Dan

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Pat Calhoun (pacalhou) [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Sunday, June 29, 2008 7:23 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Capwap] AD 
> reviewofdraft-ietf-capwap-protocol-binding-ieee80211-06 T3
> 
>    T3. What is the encoding of the Capabilities or Capability 
> field (see also E6)?
> 
> Honestly, in order to address this I will end up having to 
> replicate a good portion of the 802.11 spec, which I don't 
> think we want to do. I am proposing a lightweight version below.
> 
> <text>