Subject: [Capwap] CAPWAP IESG Review Comment T30

From: "Pat Calhoun (pacalhou)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 22:21:25 -0700

All,

The following is the IESG Comment:

   T30 - Section 4.6.41 - what are the max values of the Value fields?
What is the 
   semantics of Other Software version? I do not understand what
non-running 
   (firmware) means

I have made a change that makes the text format more consistent with the
WTP Board Data message element. The format has not changed, but the
Definition is clearer and consistent.

<text>
4.6.41.  WTP Descriptor
[...]
   0                   1                   2                   3
   0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
  |   Max Radios  | Radios in use |    Encryption Capabilities    |
  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
  |                  Descriptor Vendor Identifier                 |
  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
  |       Descriptor Type=0       |       Descriptor Length       |
  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
  |                       Descriptor Value...                           
  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
  |                  Descriptor Vendor Identifier                 |
  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
  |       Descriptor Type=1       |       Descriptor Length       |
  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
  |                       Descriptor Value...
  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
  |                  Descriptor Vendor Identifier                 |
  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
  |       Descriptor Type=2       |       Descriptor Length       |
  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
  |                       Descriptor Value...
  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
  |                  Descriptor Vendor Identifier                 |
  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
  |       Descriptor Type=3       |       Descriptor Length       |
  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
  |                       Descriptor Value...
  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
[...]

  Descriptor:   The WTP Descriptor message element contains
      multiple Descriptor sub-elements, some of which are mandatory
      and some are optional. The Descriptor sub-element contain a
      Descriptor Type, Descriptor Length and Descriptor Value field.

      Descriptor Vendor Identifier:   A 32-bit value containing the
         IANA assigned "SMI Network Management Private Enterprise
         Codes".

      Descriptor Type:   The Descriptor Type field identifies the
            data being encoded. The CAPWAP protocol defines the
            following values, and each of these types identify
            whether their presence is mandatory or optional:

         0 - Hardware Version:   The WTP hardware version number
            MUST be present.

         1 - Active Software Version:   The WTP running software
            version number MUST be present.

         2 - Boot Version:   The WTP boot loader version number
            MUST be present.

         3 - Other Software Version:   The WTP non-running
            software (firmware) version number MAY be present.
            This type is used to communicate alternate software
            versions that are available on the WTP's non-
            volatile storage.

      Descriptor Length:   Length of vendor specific encoding of
             Descriptor Data field, whose length MUST NOT exceed
             1024 octets.

      Descriptor Data:   Vendor specific data of WTP information encoded
         in the UTF-8 format.
</text>

PatC
_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap

Archives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/capwap

---

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 14:45:47 +0200

OK with me. 

Dan

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Pat Calhoun (pacalhou) [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Wednesday, June 18, 2008 8:21 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Capwap] CAPWAP IESG Review Comment T30
> 
> All,
> 
>    semantics of Other Software version? I do not understand 
> what non-running 
>    (firmware) means
> 
> I have made a change that makes the text format more 
> consistent with the WTP Board Data message element. The 
> format has not changed, but the Definition is clearer and consistent.
> 
> <text>
> 4.6.41.  WTP Descriptor
> [...]
>    0                   1                   2                   3

---

From: "Pat Calhoun (pacalhou)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 18:30:19 -0700

OK, closing issue 71.

PatC 

-----Original Message-----
From: Romascanu, Dan (Dan) [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, June 18, 2008 5:46 AM
To: Pat Calhoun (pacalhou); [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Capwap] CAPWAP IESG Review Comment T30

OK with me. 

Dan

> I have made a change that makes the text format more consistent with 
> the WTP Board Data message element. The format has not changed, but 
> the Definition is clearer and consistent.
> 
> <text>
> 4.6.41.  WTP Descriptor
> [...]
>    0                   1                   2                   3