Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-cat-gsseasy-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 06:49:56 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Common Authentication Technology Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: The GSS-API-Easy Mechanism
	Author(s)	: J. Lebastard, D. Pinkas 
	Filename	: draft-ietf-cat-gsseasy-01.txt
	Pages		: 16
	Date		: 20-Oct-99
	
This document provides a description of a GSS-API mechanism usable
through the Generic Security Service Application Program Interface 
(as specified in Internet-Drafts [GSSV2] and [GSSV2-C]) that is 
easy to deploy since it does not rely on the existence of a 
security infrastructure nor the existence of a security server.
The GSS-API-Easy mechanism enables unilateral and mutual 
authentication of peers as well as per-message protections. It is 
based on the use of an identifier and a SharedSecret shared between 
the client and the server and uses a protocol where the passphrase 
(i.e. a long phrase used like a password) is never sent in the clear. 
In addition, this document describes a protocol to change the 
SharedSecret.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-cat-gsseasy-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-cat-gsseasy-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-cat-gsseasy-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.