Subject: Statements about liaison relationship with ITU-T SG15

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 14:32:14 +0100

Hi,

The discussion of the liaison relationship between CCAMP and ITU-T SG15 on 
this mailing list, is (in my view) getting unnecessarily heated and does not 
demonstrate a desire to achieve cooperative work between the bodies while 
continuing to recognise each body's right to make standards in their areas 
of expertise and with the protocol that they 'own'.

The ASON routing work has demonstrated the best cooperation between CCAMP 
and SG15 to date, and has successfully involved participants from CCAMP, 
SG15, and the OIF. The liaison process for this work was initially 
tentative, but developed into a good exchange with CCAMP requesting input 
from SG15 on the requirements and the evaluation as they were being 
produced, and with the input from SG15 being given proper consideration and 
response by the authors. Further, the solutions work now in progress has 
also been communicated to SG15 with a promise to liaise the work as it 
stabilises.

Attempts to represent the relationship between the bodies as anything other 
than "significantly improving" are, in fact, part of the long-standing 
problem. If anyone has an issue with past or current procedures and 
constructive suggestions for change, they are welcome to express them on the 
CCAMP list, to me directly (as liaison to the ITU-T on optical networking), 
or to Scott Bradner (as overall IETF liaison to the ITU-T).

Thanks,
Adrian