Subject: Some questions on LMP

From: Snigdho Bardalai <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 19:17:57 -0500

Hi,

I have a few questions on LMP. Would like to hear back some opinions on 
these.

First question -

Section 9 on "Addressing" mentions that a Config message over a 
non-point-to-point
link (which could mean an ethernet link), must be sent with the 
destination IP set to
the unicast IP address of the neighboring node.

Considering a scenario where there are 2 nodes that has mutliple 
control-channels
1) an out-of-fiber one over a non-point-to-point link
2) an in-fiber one over a point-to-point link

Since there is no guarantee that the Config message with the unicast 
destination IP address
meant for control-channel 1) will not get routed out on the 
point-to-point link what
measures should the neighboring node take to properly map the Config 
message to the
correct instance of the control-channel ?

Next question -

Does RFC4204 consider network reconfiguration scenarios ? For example, 
if graceful
restart is enabled control-channel re-establishment is done using the 
unicast IP address
of the neighboring node in the Config message that was recovered from, 
say, the non-volatile
storage database. At what point in time will the Config message 
destination IP address
switch to the multicast IP address (assuming the control-channel is over 
a point-to-point
link) ?

Last question -

Graceful restart requires the following (extracted from Section 8):

   If, however, the node was not capable of retaining
   the LMP link information across a restart, the node MUST accept the
   data link parameters of the received LinkSummary message and respond
   with a LinkSummaryAck message.

Should a node not capable of retaining any information across a restart
respond with a LinkSummaryAck in case link verification is enabled ?
The issue is the information that is being accepted may not be correct.

Thanks,
Snigdho