Subject: Draft communication to Q6/15

From: "BRUNGARD, DEBORAH A, ATTLABS" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 10:52:46 -0400

Hi,
 
Now that we have WG drafts on WSON, we have prepared the following
Liaison to Q6/15. It will be communicated as informational.
 
Please let us know if any comments,
Deborah and Adrian
 
======
Communication to Q6/15 from the IETF's CCAMP Working Group
 
The CCAMP Working Group of IETF would like to inform you of our work on
enhancing GMPLS's support for Lambda Switching to support the new
generation of Lambda Switch Capable equipment (e.g. ROADMs and PXCs).
GMPLS provides a standard control plane in support of setting up (or
restoring) a connection for multiple technologies (e.g. photonic, TDM
(SONET/SDH), Ethernet). 

When GMPLS currently sets up an end-to-end wavelength connection (i.e. a
Lambda LSP), the label that identifies the Lambda to use only has local
context (between the neighboring nodes at the ends of the Lambda link).
With the recent progress on optical network technology and the
capability to activate/reroute an optical path over a larger domain
comprised of DWDM, ROADMs, and PXCs (e.g. G.680 Appendix III
application), CCAMP participants are interested to investigate these new
applications to ensure the applicability of GMPLS protocols for
connection setup and path computation and whether additional extensions
are needed. The following document "Framework for GMPLS and PCE Control
of Wavelength Switched Optical Networks (WSON)" provides a framework for
our work effort:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ccamp-wavelength-switched
-framework-00.txt
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ccamp-wavelength-switche
d-framework-00.txt> 

Note, CCAMP is concerned with the GMPLS protocol aspects for control of
Lambda Switch Capable equipment. Work on characterization of optical
signals, devices, and fibers is not within our scope.

The first aspect being considered is a standardized wavelength
representation. The proposal for the wavelength label representation is
based on the grids used by G.694.1 and G.694.2. The following document
"Generalized Labels for G.694 Lambda-Switching Capable Label Switching
Routers" describes our proposal:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-g-694-lambda-
labels-01.txt
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-g-694-lambda
-labels-01.txt> 

Both of these documents are in a very early phase of development. As we
progress our work, we will be including aspects of G.680. We welcome any
comments you may have at this time on our work and we would appreciate
if you would keep us informed of your progress in this area.

---

From: Greg Bernstein <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 08:18:58 -0700

This looks good Deborah and Adrian. Should we put in any info to remind 
them that our next IETF meeting is in July in Dublin?

Regards

Greg B.

BRUNGARD, DEBORAH A, ATTLABS wrote:
> The CCAMP Working Group of IETF would like to inform you of our work 
> on enhancing GMPLS's support for Lambda Switching to support the new 
> When GMPLS currently sets up an end-to-end wavelength connection (i.e. 
> a Lambda LSP), the label that identifies the Lambda to use only has 
> local context (between the neighboring nodes at the ends of the Lambda 
> link). With the recent progress on optical network technology and the 
> application), CCAMP participants are interested to investigate these 
> new applications to ensure the applicability of GMPLS protocols for 
> connection setup and path computation and whether additional 
> extensions are needed. The following document "Framework for GMPLS and 
> PCE Control of Wavelength Switched Optical Networks (WSON)" provides a 
> framework for our work effort:
>
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ccamp-wavelength-switched-framework-00.txt
>
>  
>
> Note, CCAMP is concerned with the GMPLS protocol aspects for control 
> of Lambda Switch Capable equipment. Work on characterization of 
> optical signals, devices, and fibers is not within our scope.
>
>  
>
> representation. The proposal for the wavelength label representation 
> is based on the grids used by G.694.1 and G.694.2. The following 
> document "Generalized Labels for G.694 Lambda-Switching Capable Label 
> Switching Routers" describes our proposal:
>
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-g-694-lambda-labels-01.txt
>
>  
>
> Both of these documents are in a very early phase of development. As 
> we progress our work, we will be including aspects of G.680. We 
> welcome any comments you may have at this time on our work and we 
> would appreciate if you would keep us informed of your progress in 
> this area.
>  

-- 
===================================================
Dr Greg Bernstein, Grotto Networking (510) 573-2237

---

From: "BRUNGARD, DEBORAH A, ATTLABS" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 11:42:19 -0400

Thanks Greg - at this time, it is only informational. There is no need
for a response from Q6.

________________________________

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Greg Bernstein
Sent: Wednesday, June 18, 2008 11:19 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Draft communication to Q6/15

Regards

Greg B.

	Hi,
	 
	Now that we have WG drafts on WSON, we have prepared the
following Liaison to Q6/15. It will be communicated as informational.

	======
	 
	The CCAMP Working Group of IETF would like to inform you of our
work on enhancing GMPLS's support for Lambda Switching to support the
new generation of Lambda Switch Capable equipment (e.g. ROADMs and
PXCs). GMPLS provides a standard control plane in support of setting up
(or restoring) a connection for multiple technologies (e.g. photonic,
TDM (SONET/SDH), Ethernet). 

	When GMPLS currently sets up an end-to-end wavelength connection
(i.e. a Lambda LSP), the label that identifies the Lambda to use only
has local context (between the neighboring nodes at the ends of the
Lambda link). With the recent progress on optical network technology and
the capability to activate/reroute an optical path over a larger domain
comprised of DWDM, ROADMs, and PXCs (e.g. G.680 Appendix III
application), CCAMP participants are interested to investigate these new
applications to ensure the applicability of GMPLS protocols for
connection setup and path computation and whether additional extensions
are needed. The following document "Framework for GMPLS and PCE Control
of Wavelength Switched Optical Networks (WSON)" provides a framework for
our work effort:

	Note, CCAMP is concerned with the GMPLS protocol aspects for
control of Lambda Switch Capable equipment. Work on characterization of
optical signals, devices, and fibers is not within our scope.

	Both of these documents are in a very early phase of
development. As we progress our work, we will be including aspects of
G.680. We welcome any comments you may have at this time on our work and
we would appreciate if you would keep us informed of your progress in
this area.