Subject: Re: [CCAMP] WG review of I-D draft-zheng-ccamp-yang-otn-slicing

From: Aihua Guo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2021 10:32:56 -0400

Dear WG,

FYI below are the meeting minutes from the last two weekly calls for I-D
draft-zheng-ccamp-yang-otn-slicing. We welcome WG comments from the WG to
help progress the draft.

Thank you,
Aihua (on behalf of the authors and contributors)

Date: 09/02/2021

Participants: Henry, Luis, Italo, Haomian, Jiang, Xufeng, Aihua

We further discussed the feasibility of defining OTN-SC NBI by augmenting
draft-liu-teas-transport-network-slice-yang and clarified the meaning of
“endpoints” from an OTN slice perspective.

   - “Endpoint” in network slicing is an abstract term which can refer to a
   logical combination of (CE/intf x, PE/intf y, resource id (e.g. vlan id)).
   In OTN slice, an endpoint is internally mapped to a TE LTP representing a
   port, time slot or bandwidth on the physical device. The cardinality of TE
   LTP : endpoint is 1:N.
   - Endpoint information is distributed between CE and PE a prior before
   customer initiates OTN slice configuration. The distributed endpoint
   information should contain PE/intf y and may or may not contain the
   resource id.
   - When customer configures an OTN slice with endpoints, the endpoints
   may or may not carry the resource id. If the resource id is not carried it
   will be dynamically allocated and assigned by the OTN SC during the OTN
   slice configuration.
   - Luis raised a good point that whether customer can create hierarchy of
   OTN connections within an OTN slice. This perspective needs to be further
   investigated but it is assumed that the starting point is to support one
   level of OTN hierarchy in an OTN slice.

Date: 08/12/2021
Participants: Sergio, Victor, Henry, Italo, Haomian, Jiang, Xufeng, Aihua

The participants discussed and agreed to share draft updates to the CCAMP
and TEAS mailing list to initiate some discussions and request for
reviews/comments for WG adoption.

Next, the participants discussed the ongoing debates in TEAS regarding the
terminologies and the positioning of IETF network slice NBI, and we
investigated the possibility of OTN Slicing NBI to augment from the IETF
network slice NBI. Xufeng gave a good view on the network slice NBI and the
participants echoed on the following points:

   - The OTN slicing NBI needs to support both connectivity-based slices
   and topology-based slices.
   - It is possible to have two models for each type of slices, with one
   model to augment from some generic TEAS network slice NBI model and the
   other to augment from the network-topology-based
   model(draft-liu-teas-transport-network-slice-yang). Aihua also raised the
   point whether we could do with one model to cover both types of slices.
   This remains to be investigated.
   - The current TEAS network slice model
   (draft-wd-teas-ietf-network-slice-nbi-yang) is tightly coupled with packet
   services, and we need a more generic model to augment from for OTN
   connectivity-based slicing.
   - The participants agreed to investigate the current parameters
   of draft-wd-teas-ietf-network-slice-nbi-yang and explores the option of a
   more generic model suitable for OTN slicing augmentation.

Our next call will resume on Sep 2nd as many of the participants are on
vacation in the next two weeks. We will discuss offline regarding whether
we will keep the interim call before Sep 2.

On Thu, Aug 12, 2021 at 3:48 PM Aihua Guo <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Dear WG,
>
> The authors have presented an updated revision of I-D
> draft-zheng-ccamp-yang-otn-slicing at the IETF 111. This draft describes
> use cases and concepts for realizing OTN technology-specific network
> slices, and it develops YANG data models for OTN slice configurations and
> realization at both the NBI and SBI.
>
> Since the first revision was published, the authors have seen an increased
> level of interest built around this draft. We would like to bring this
> draft to the WG and your comments and reviews are greatly welcome to help
> progress the draft to possible WG adoption.
>
> A weekly call has been established among the authors every Thursday
> 10-11am EST. The next call will resume on Sep 2nd and we welcome anyone
> interested in this work to join the call. The meeting link will be
> forwarded upon request.  A GitHub repository of this draft is also
> established and available at
> https://github.com/aguoietf/ietf-ccamp-yang-otn-slicing.
>
> Name:           draft-zheng-ccamp-yang-otn-slicing
> Revision:       02
> Title:          Framework and Data Model for OTN Network Slicing
> Document date:  2021-07-12
> Group:          Individual Submission
> Pages:          16
> URL:            https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-zheng-ccamp-yang-otn
> -slicing-02.txt
> Status:         https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-zheng-ccamp-yang-
> otn-slicing/
> Htmlized:
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-zheng-ccamp-yang-otn-slicing
> Diff:
> https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-zheng-ccamp-yang-otn-slicing-02
>
> Abstract:
>    The requirement of slicing network resources with desired quality of
>    service is emerging at every network technology, including the
>    Optical Transport Networks (OTN).  As a part of the transport
>    network, OTN can provide hard pipes with guaranteed data isolation
>    and deterministic low latency, which are highly demanded in the
>    Service Level Agreement (SLA).
>
>    This document describes a framework for OTN network slicing and a
>    YANG data model augmentation of the OTN topology model.  Additional
>    YANG data model augmentations will be defined in a future version of
>    this draft.
>
> Thank you,
> Aihua (on behalf of the authors and contributors)
>
>