Subject: [CDNi] Document Action: 'Content Distribution Network Interconnection (CDNI) Problem Statement' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-cdni-problem-statement-08.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2012 09:32:52 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Content Distribution Network Interconnection (CDNI) Problem Statement'
  (draft-ietf-cdni-problem-statement-08.txt) as Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Content Delivery Networks
Interconnection Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Martin Stiemerling and Wesley Eddy.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-cdni-problem-statement/

Technical Summary

   Content Delivery Networks (CDNs) provide numerous benefits: reduced
   delivery cost for cacheable content, improved quality of experience
   for End Users and increased robustness of delivery.  For these
   reasons they are frequently used for large-scale content delivery.
   As a result, existing CDN Providers are scaling up their
   infrastructure and many Network Service Providers (NSPs) are
   deploying their own CDNs.  It is generally desirable that a given
   content item can be delivered to an End User regardless of that End
   User's location or attachment network.  This is the motivation for
   interconnecting standalone CDNs so they can interoperate as an open
   content delivery infrastructure for the end-to-end delivery of
   content from Content Service Providers (CSPs) to End Users.  However,
   no standards or open specifications currently exist to facilitate
   such CDN interconnection.

   The goal of this document is to outline the problem area of CDN
   interconnection for the IETF CDNI (CDN Interconnection) working
   group.

Working Group Summary

There was strong consensus in the CDNI WG to publish this document
as its Problem Statement.

Document Quality

Despite many existing CDN implementations, there are no
implementations of CDN interconnection that resolve the functional
and operational challenges raised in this Problem Statement.

Personnel

Richard Woundy ([email-masked]) is the Document Shepherd.
Martin Stiemerling is the Responsible Area Director.

RFC Editor Note
Please replace the first paragraph in Appendix A. "Design considerations for realizing the CDNI Interfaces" with this text

OLD
   This section expands on how CDNI interfaces can reuse and leverage
   existing protocols before describing each CDNI interface individually
   and highlighting example candidate protocols that could be considered
   for reuse or leveraging to implement the CDNI interfaces.

NEW
   This section expands on how CDNI interfaces can reuse and leverage
   existing protocols before describing each CDNI interface individually
   and highlighting example candidate protocols that could be considered
   for reuse or leveraging to implement the CDNI interfaces. However, 
   the options discussed here are purely examples and do not present 
   any consensus on protocols to be used later on.