Subject: [Cellar] Codec specs: Blu-ray subtitles (PGS & TextST) in Matroska

From: Moritz Bunkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2016 21:28:02 +0100

Hey,

there are two subtitle formats used in Blu-rays: a graphical one (also
called "HDMV presentation graphics subtitles") and a textual one (called
"HDMV text subtitles"). There are several programs out there that have
been able to store one or both of the formats in Matroska, and at least
the PGS format is in wide use in Matroska files.

Until now the Matroska codec specs have not reflected this
practice. I've just posted a pull request[1] to remedy the situation. It
describes what is already practice; from my point of view the storage
method cannot be really up for discussion.

Nevertheless I ask for and welcome reviews and suggestions! Thanks :)

Kind regards,
mosu

[1]  https://github.com/Matroska-Org/matroska-specification/pull/76

---

From: "Timothy B. Terriberry" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2016 14:42:41 -0800

> method cannot be really up for discussion.

I would say rather that (unless explicitly excluded by the charter) it 
is always up for discussion, but saying "we would like to not break 
existing files that do this" is a position around which it seems likely 
this group would find consensus in this instance (if someone did wish to 
discuss it).

---

From: Moritz Bunkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2016 00:05:27 +0100

Hey,

> existing files that do this" is a position around which it seems
> likely this group would find consensus in this instance (if someone
> did wish to discuss it).

You're right, of course, and that's pretty much what I meant. "Don't
break existing files" is a rather strong point, albeit not to the
exclusion of everything else.

Kind regards,
mosu