Subject: [Cfrg] IKEv1 and 800-56A

From: "Andreasyan Ashot-C23793" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 16:31:10 -0400

Hi All,
 
Recently NIST published "Recommendation for Pair-Wise Key Establishment
Schemes Using Discrete Logarithm Cryptography"
http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/nistpubs/800-56A/SP800-56A_Revision1_M
ar08-2007.pdf
 
How does this this document is going to interconnect with IKEv1?

Thanks,
Ashot

---

From: David McGrew <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 13:10:17 -0700

Hi Ashot,

On Jul 28, 2009, at 1:31 PM, Andreasyan Ashot-C23793 wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Recently NIST published "Recommendation for Pair-Wise Key  
> Establishment Schemes Using Discrete Logarithm Cryptography"
> http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/nistpubs/800-56A/SP800-56A_Revision1_Mar08-2007.pdf
>

that's a good question.  The Diffe-Hellman protocols in the NIST key  
management documents are based on ANSI and IEEE standards that were  
developed concurrently with ISAKMP/OAKLEY/IKE.  They are functionally  
equivalent in some ways, but they are different and incompatible in  
other ways.

Personally, I would like to see these standards be reconciled, with  
preference going towards what they industry is actually implementing  
and using whenever it is reasonably secure.   I would expect this  
reconciliation to be a long term project.   Other opinions are welcome.

If you are interested in the NIST key management documents, you might  
want to review the NIST White Paper on transitioning algorithms and  
key sizes, see http://csrc.nist.gov/groups/ST/key_mgmt/    Note that  
the review period closes on August 3.

David

>
>
> Thanks,
> Ashot
>
> _______________________________________________
> Cfrg mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/cfrg

---

From: "Andreasyan Ashot-C23793" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 17:30:21 -0400

Hi David,
 
Thank you for your response. 
 
I have already read that paper and it looks like they are OK for now
with IKEv1 KDF but
you are right that consolidation is long term project and IETF needs to
take care.
 
Ashot

________________________________

From: David McGrew [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, July 30, 2009 1:10 PM
To: Andreasyan Ashot-C23793
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Cfrg] IKEv1 and 800-56A

Hi Ashot, 

	Hi All,

	 

Personally, I would like to see these standards be reconciled, with
preference going towards what they industry is actually implementing and
using whenever it is reasonably secure.   I would expect this
reconciliation to be a long term project.   Other opinions are welcome.

If you are interested in the NIST key management documents, you might
want to review the NIST White Paper on transitioning algorithms and key
sizes, see http://csrc.nist.gov/groups/ST/key_mgmt/    Note that the
review period closes on August 3.

David

	 
	Thanks,
	Ashot