Subject: [Cfrg] proposed RG action: draft-cfrg-cipher-catalog

From: David McGrew <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 11:35:21 -0800

Hi,

I would like to propose the creation of an research group draft that  
describes all of the ciphers defined or used in IETF RFCs.  This draft  
should contain the basic facts about each cipher, including  
intellectual property considerations, and also describe its security  
properties, and provide authoritative references.   The most important  
security considerations are key size and block size (though we have  
two stream ciphers that accept IVs and one that does not), and  
probably the easiest way to deal with this is to describe the security  
ramifications of the different parameter choices, which puts each  
cipher into a rough category.  There are about twenty such ciphers  
(see the attached html table) and it will be valuable for CFRG to put  
together this information and ensure appropriate review.

There has been discussion in some IETF working groups about the  
addition of new standards-track ciphers.  CFRG should be providing  
technical input, but it is not the right place for discussion of  
standards.  I think a draft focusing on technical properties is the  
right contribution.

Let me know what you think.  Are you willing to participate as an  
editor, contributor, or reviewer?   Do you see any problems with this  
approach?   Anything missing from the outline above?   Comments  
especially welcome on the subject of security categorization.

thanks,

David