Subject: [Cfrg] cfrg co-chair

From: David McGrew <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 15:30:29 -0800

Hi,

I would like to thank Ran Canetti for serving as Crypto Forum Research  
Group co-chair, starting at the inception of the RG almost ten years  
ago.  Ran has decided to step down from this role.

Fortunately, Kevin Igoe has offered to fill this role.  Kevin is a  
senior cryptographer with the Commercial Solutions Center of the U.S.  
National Security Agency.  Kevin has a great depth of technical  
knowledge in this area, as
well as a pragmatic focus that fits well with the IETF.  He has  
authored/coauthored four RFCs and several current drafts on  
cryptography, and he led the design of the SHA-1 hash algorithm.

Thanks Kevin and Ran!

David

---

From: David McGrew <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 13:41:44 -0800

Hi,

the IRTF process on selecting new chairs or co-chairs for RGs is  
somewhat underspecified.  To make sure that we are following a  
transparent process,  I should have said that, while I support and  
appreciate Kevin's offer to chair, that position ought to be affirmed  
by the research group itself - that is, by you.  Can you please chime  
in with an acceptance of Kevin in this role (or alternatively, share  
your concerns if you have them)?

Recall that the research group membership is unrestricted, and anyone  
can join by joinging the mail list.  The IRTF processes are outlined  
in RFC 2014, and the IRTF document publication process is described in  
RFC 5743.

thanks!

David

On Nov 11, 2011, at 3:30 PM, David McGrew wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to thank Ran Canetti for serving as Crypto Forum  
> Research Group co-chair, starting at the inception of the RG almost  
> ten years ago.  Ran has decided to step down from this role.
>
> senior cryptographer with the Commercial Solutions Center of the  
> U.S. National Security Agency.  Kevin has a great depth of technical

---

From: Richard Graveman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 23:43:15 -0500

I support Kevin without reservations.

Rich Graveman

On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 4:41 PM, David McGrew <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the IRTF process on selecting new chairs or co-chairs for RGs is somewhat
> underspecified.  To make sure that we are following a transparent process,
>  I should have said that, while I support and appreciate Kevin's offer to
> chair, that position ought to be affirmed by the research group itself -
> that is, by you.  Can you please chime in with an acceptance of Kevin in
> this role (or alternatively, share your concerns if you have them)?
>
> Recall that the research group membership is unrestricted, and anyone can
> join by joinging the mail list.  The IRTF processes are outlined in RFC
> 2014, and the IRTF document publication process is described in RFC 5743.
>
> thanks!
>
> David
>
>> Group co-chair, starting at the inception of the RG almost ten years ago.
>>  Ran has decided to step down from this role.
>>
>> Fortunately, Kevin Igoe has offered to fill this role.  Kevin is a senior
>> cryptographer with the Commercial Solutions Center of the U.S. National
>> Security Agency.  Kevin has a great depth of technical knowledge in this
>> area, as
>> authored/coauthored four RFCs and several current drafts on cryptography,
>> and he led the design of the SHA-1 hash algorithm.
>>
>> Thanks Kevin and Ran!
>>
>> David
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Cfrg mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/cfrg
>

---

From: Sean Shen 沈烁 <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 13:17:06 +0800

+1

Sean Shen

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Richard Graveman
Sent: Tuesday, November 22, 2011 12:43 PM
To: David McGrew
Cc: [email-masked]; Lars Eggert
Subject: Re: [Cfrg] cfrg co-chair

Rich Graveman

---

From: Sean Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 05:57:10 -0500

+1

spt

On 11/22/11 12:17 AM, Sean Shen 沈烁 wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 4:41 PM, David McGrew<[email-masked]>  wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

---

From: Simon Josefsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 13:56:07 +0100

> your concerns if you have them)?

David,

I have no concerns other than a general preference for attempting to
enlarge the pond a bit and find someone with experience from the ECRYPT
or CRYPTREC efforts, for example.  I do realize that there may not be
huge pool of volunteers with free time to chose from, however, so we
should be grateful for Kevin's offer.

/Simon

---

From: Stephen Farrell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 13:10:32 +0000

same here
S

On 11/22/2011 10:57 AM, Sean Turner wrote:
>>> somewhat
>>> can
>>>> ago.
>>>> senior
>>>> cryptography,

---

From: David McGrew <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 07:35:25 -0800

Hi Simon,

> should be grateful for Kevin's offer.

agreed, global engagement is the right goal, and we should figure out  
ways to get more engagement and involvement from ECRYPT and  
CRYPTREC.   One thought is: we can solict input to the RG from those  
groups and other similar groups.  Having a presentation at physical  
meeting might be the best way to get interaction going.  I bet that  
there are people on the list who participate in some of those groups,  
and it would be great to hear from them.

David

---

From: "Dan Harkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 08:38:08 -0800 (PST)

Ditto.

  Dan.

On Tue, November 22, 2011 5:10 am, Stephen Farrell wrote:
>> On 11/22/11 12:17 AM, Sean Shen æ²ˆçƒ wrote:
>>> +1
>>>
>>> Sean Shen
>>>
>>>>> Research

---

From: "Paterson, Kenny" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 16:39:47 +0000

Hi All,

There are indeed ECRYPT members on the list and paying attention! One of our objectives as a network of excellence is to find ways to engage with people developing standards, implementing cryptography, etc. So there is certainly interest and appetite from individuals within ECRYPT for providing input to CFRG. 

One immediate item that may be of interest to CFRG is the annual ECRYPT report on key lengths and algorithms, which is available here:

http://www.ecrypt.eu.org/documents.html

Another item of possible interest is the following ECRYPT co-sponsored workshop happening in Cambridge (UK) in Jan/Feb 2012:

Is Cryptographic Theory Practically Relevant?
http://www.newton.ac.uk/programmes/SAS/sasw07.html 

I am co-organizer of this workshop - so if someone from CFRG is available to present, s/he would be more than welcome to have a slot!

Regards,

Kenny 

> and it would be great to hear from them.

------
Kenneth G. Paterson,
Information Security Group,
Royal Holloway, University of London,
Egham, Surrey TW20 0EX, U.K.
e-mail: [email-masked]
web:    www.isg.rhul.ac.uk/~kp
phone:  01784 414393
fax:    01784 430766

---

From: Richard Graveman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 01:07:41 -0500

Seems this thread has acquired license to drift as far as it chooses.

The 2010-2011 Ecrypt II algorithms and key sizes update is indeed a
useful reference. I found it to one of four helpful documents for
current information on its intended topic. However, have you looked at
the RFCs referenced in it compared with what is current? Look at TLS,
IPsec, SSH, etc., in this document compared with what was published
when the update was written. 2246, 2409? Many have been replaced
several times, not just once.

According to Kevin's CV, nobody told the RFC editor to stop at 5000.

Rich Graveman

---

From: "Paterson, Kenny" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 08:14:48 +0000

Rich,

[topic drift continues]

Interesting. I was responsible for big chunks of the part of the  
ecrypt  document you're referring to. We referenced RFCs that we  
believe to be in widespread use. Hence TLS 1.0 and not TLS 1.2, etc.  
Ditto the SSH RFCs. Ditto IKEv1.

If TLS1.2 is now in widespread use then of course we will update. Oh  
hang on... It's not, as the furore around BEAST demonstrated.

More constructively, if you think there are important things in  
current use missing from the document, then please let me know.

Cheers,

Kenny

Sent from my iPhone

On 23 Nov 2011, at 06:14, "Richard Graveman" <[email-masked]>  
wrote:

>> There are indeed ECRYPT members on the list and paying attention!  
>> One of our objectives as a network of excellence is to find ways to  
>> engage with people developing standards, implementing cryptography,  
>> etc. So there is certainly interest and appetite from individuals  
>> within ECRYPT for providing input to CFRG.
>>
>> One immediate item that may be of interest to CFRG is the annual  
>> ECRYPT report on key lengths and algorithms, which is available here:
>>
>> Another item of possible interest is the following ECRYPT co- 
>> sponsored workshop happening in Cambridge (UK) in Jan/Feb 2012:
>>
>> I am co-organizer of this workshop - so if someone from CFRG is  
>> available to present, s/he would be more than welcome to have a slot!
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Kenny
>>
>>> Hi Simon,
>>>