Subject: [Cfrg] FW: Competition for Authenticated Encryption: Security, Applicability, Robustness

From: "David McGrew (mcgrew)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 15:36:29 +0000

Following up on the DIACs workshop, a new competition for Authenticated
Encryption algorithms.

There are some nice benefits to this competition: it is inclusive (of both
new algorithm designs and new mode designs) and it focuses attention on
the important real-world issue of AE.   I am hoping to see developments
that both perform well and improve robustness (e.g. against misuse).

I also hope to see a healthy discussion about requirements; people with
use cases should provide them as input.

David

On 1/15/13 9:52 AM, "D. J. Bernstein" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>
>http://competitions.cr.yp.to/ today announces a new competition for
>authenticated ciphers. Submissions will be due one year from now. NIST
>has generously provided relevant funding. If you're interested in the
>competition, please send email to
>
>   [email-masked]
>
>to join the discussion list.
>
>---D. J. Bernstein
>   Research Professor, Computer Science, University of Illinois at Chicago
>   Hoogleraar, Wiskunde en Informatica, Technische Universiteit Eindhoven
>

---

From: Yoav Nir <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 16:00:56 +0000

Interesting.

I didn't see in the link, who's organizing the competition, who's evaluating the submissions, and who announces the winner.

It's not NIST or some equivalent government body, right?

Yoav

On Jan 15, 2013, at 5:36 PM, "David McGrew (mcgrew)" <[email-masked]>
 wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> Cfrg mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/cfrg
> 
> Email secured by Check Point

---

From: Kevin Igoe <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 17:47:01 -0500

Yes, it is indeed Nist. Details are sparse at this point.