Subject: [Cfrg] Dynamic Key Changes on Encrypted Sessions.

From: Peter Alexander <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2017 14:06:29 -0400

Greetings everyone,

I have tried sending this message before but it was getting blocked. So I
am trying again :)

Eliot Lear from the SAGG mailing list pointed me in your direction. Have
been meaning to post but got busy.

Briefly;

I co-invented a VPN-like method for securing transmissions where encryption
keys could be changed without having to tear-down, and rebuild the entire
session. At the time we also tried to patent the technology but essentially
ran out of funding. The organization has since dissolved. This was back in
2010. Given that the invention always sparked interest, but never truly
gone anywhere I would like to begin the process of opening it up to a wider
audience.

What follows are a few of the high-level design elements which we thought
were unique to the art.

- Dynamic key changes during encrypted sessions (no need to restart)
- Initial key exchange agnostic. Ex: Possible to use IPSec/DH exchange to
build initial tunnel
- Packets containing keys are obfuscated using upto three methods
- Can also utilize locally stored key arrays. Sending index of key instead
of key itself.

We were able to come up with working code (Linux 2.6 kernel & Android
Gingerbread), which I can share once I remove the proprietary crypto
libraries. I also have all of the documentation/presentation slides that I
authored at the time.

Kindly let me know if this is something worth moving forward with. I am
open to discussion/criticism as needed.

Cheers!

---

From: "Paterson, Kenny" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2017 09:22:23 +0000

Dear Peter,

Thanks for bringing this to the list.

You might find this ID interesting to look at in the context of your work:

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-irtf-cfrg-re-keying-08

Regards

Kenny 

On 26/10/2017 19:06, "Cfrg on behalf of Peter Alexander"
<[email-masked] on behalf of [email-masked]> wrote:

>I co-invented a VPN-like method for securing transmissions where
>encryption keys could be changed without having to tear-down, and rebuild
>the entire session. At the time we also tried to patent the technology
>but essentially ran
> out of funding. The organization has since dissolved. This was back in
>gone anywhere I would like to begin the process of opening it up to a
>wider audience.
>
>
>- Can also utilize locally stored key arrays. Sending index of key
>instead of key itself.
>
>
>libraries. I also have all of the documentation/presentation slides that
>I authored at the
> time.
>
>

---

From: Peter Alexander <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2017 08:58:00 -0400

Thanks Kenny,

That does look pretty neat although much of it is a bit over my head.
At a minimum that ID seems to try to solve the same issue we were trying to
solve in 2010.

I will have to print it out and try to get a better understanding of it
though.

Cheers,

Peter