Subject: [Cfrg] I-D Action: draft-irtf-cfrg-re-keying-08.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2017 07:36:42 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Crypto Forum RG of the IRTF.

        Title           : Re-keying Mechanisms for Symmetric Keys
        Author          : Stanislav Smyshlyaev
	Filename        : draft-irtf-cfrg-re-keying-08.txt
	Pages           : 49
	Date            : 2017-10-09

Abstract:
   A certain maximum amount of data can be safely encrypted when
   encryption is performed under a single key.  This amount is called
   "key lifetime".  This specification describes a variety of methods to
   increase the lifetime of symmetric keys.  It provides external and
   internal re-keying mechanisms based on hash functions and on block
   ciphers, that can be used with modes of operations such as CTR, GCM,
   CBC, CFB and OMAC.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-irtf-cfrg-re-keying/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-irtf-cfrg-re-keying-08
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-irtf-cfrg-re-keying-08

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-irtf-cfrg-re-keying-08

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: "Stanislav V. Smyshlyaev" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2017 18:14:14 +0300

Dear colleagues,

In Prague, we listed several todo's about our Re-keying draft; thanks to
the efforts of the persons listed in the contributors and "thanks to" lists
now we have a new version, addressing the comments and concerns that have
been discussed earlier.
There have been several updates of the draft, major changes from the July
version (discussed at IETF 99 CFRG meeting) are the following:

1) New test examples have been added: external re-keying with a parallel
construction based on AES-256, external re-keying with a serial
construction based on SHA-256, OMAC-ACPKM-Master mode with AES-256, as
agreed.
2) CCM-ACPKM and CCM-ACPKM-Master, OFB-ACPKM-Master modes have been removed
from the document, as agreed.
3) “Key Hierarchy Construction” section has been added.
4) The more restrictive terminology for different types of keys has been
introduced: "initial key", "section key" (data processing key in internal
re-keying), "master key", "section key material", "subkey", "frame key"
(data processing key in external re-keying).
5) The additional hash calculation for ICB value (if c!=32) has been
removed from GCM-ACPKM and GCM-ACPKM-Master modes.

The current version (https://tools.ietf.org/html/
draft-irtf-cfrg-re-keying-08) seems to take all concerns and considerations
we've discussed (in Chicago, in Prague and in e-mails) into account –
please let me know if we've missed something. If there won't be any
objections, I think we should start thinking about moving to the review
phase.

Kindest regards,
Stanislav

2017-10-09 17:36 GMT+03:00 <[email-masked]>:

> _______________________________________________
> Cfrg mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/cfrg
>