Subject: [Cfrg] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-barnes-cfrg-hpke-00.txt

From: Richard Barnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2019 18:09:34 -0500

Hi CFRG folks,

I've just posted this draft that Karthik and I have been working on.  You
may recall my having mentioned it at the IETF in Bangkok; it took us a bit
longer than expected to get our ducks in a row :)

The idea here is to write a clean, easy-to-use spec for hybrid public-key
encryption.  (We're using the name "ECIES", but as the draft notes, the
idea is clearly more general.)  This primitive has come up in IETF work on
MLS and ESNI [0][1], and in several other protocols, e.g., through the NaCl
"box" API [2].  The hope here is to have a single spec that unifies these
ideas and can be the target of formal verification.

I admit that there's a little bit of XKCD#927 here [3], but I think there's
good work to do here in terms of addressing some more modern use cases
(e.g., streaming / multiple encryptions from a single DH) and possibly
enabling better post-quantum support by generalizing to KEM instead of DH.

This is obviously still at -00 quality, but we wanted to go ahead and ask
whether this was a topic of interest to folks in CFRG.

Thanks,
--Richard

[0]
https://github.com/mlswg/mls-protocol/blob/master/draft-ietf-mls-protocol.md#direct-paths
[1] https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-tls-esni-02#section-5.1
[2] https://nacl.cr.yp.to/box.html
[3] https://xkcd.com/927/

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, Jan 18, 2019 at 6:08 PM
Subject: New Version Notification for draft-barnes-cfrg-hpke-00.txt
To: Richard L. Barnes <[email-masked]>, Karthikeyan Bhargavan <
[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-barnes-cfrg-hpke-00.txt
has been successfully submitted by Richard L. Barnes and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:           draft-barnes-cfrg-hpke
Revision:       00
Title:          Hybrid Public Key Encryption
Document date:  2019-01-18
Group:          Individual Submission
Pages:          10
URL:
https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-barnes-cfrg-hpke-00.txt
Status:         https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-barnes-cfrg-hpke/
Htmlized:       https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-barnes-cfrg-hpke-00
Htmlized:       https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-barnes-cfrg-hpke

Abstract:
   This document describes a scheme for hybrid public-key encryption
   (HPKE).  This scheme provides authenticated public key encryption of
   arbitrary-sized plaintexts for a recipient public key.  HPKE works
   for any Diffie-Hellman group and has a strong security proof.  We
   provide instantiations of the scheme using standard and efficient
   primitives.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat