Subject: [clue] comments to draft-ietf-clue-telepresence-requirements-05.txt

From: Roberta Presta <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 15:16:52 +0200

Hi all,

in the following some comments to the requirements draft.

  * about the interworking telepresence systems
    In the Introduction section (page 3, third paragraph), it is stated
    that the purpose of the document is to provide requirements for
    enabling interworking between /"SIP-based [RFC3261] telepresence
    systems"/. We should describe/define here in a more precise way
    these systems, by saying for example that they are "built upon"
    centralized SIP-based conferencing systems as defined in RFC4353
    (the "conference" definition in the following refers to this RFC).
    We should explicitely mention that we are not dealing with
    "signaling agnostic" frameworks, if this is the case, i.e. if we
    leverage SIP as the only signaling protocol for the basic session
    management.

  * about dictating architectural choices
    In the Introduction section, "/It is not the intention of CLUE to
    dictate telepresence architectural and implementation choices./" I
    would propose to erase "architectural choice" and to leave only
    "implementation choice". The CLUE framework should provide some
    reference  architecture for SIP-based telepresence systems in order
    to let them interoperate, so I would not say that CLUE is not
    intended to dictate architectural choice.

  * "Endpoint" definition
    "/Endpoints can be anything from multiscreen/multicamera rooms to
    handheld devices./"
    I agree that talking about room/site *controllers*, or something
    similar, it is more appropriate.

  * about the site characteristics that need to be shared
    In the Problem statement section, page 6, last paragraph:
    "/Characteristics may include number, placement, capture/_render
    angle_, resolution of cameras and _screens_, spatial location and
    audio mixing parameters of microphones. The telepresence
    multi-stream work seeks to describe the sender situation in a way
    that allows the receiver to render it realistically, though it may
    have a different rendering model than//the sender; and _for the
    receiver to provide information to the sender in order to help the
    sender create adequate content for interworking_"/. The last
    sentence seems to make reference to some rendering features of the
    receiver (render angles, resolution of screens) and that sounds a
    bit in contrast with the CLUE philosophy, where the media provider
    does not care about the rendering capabilities of the media consumer.

Minor issues:

  * "/A telepresence session, requires/", comma to be removed
  * must vs MUST: there are several "must" that are not capitalized

Regards,

Roberta