Subject: [clue] Data Channel: Does the WebRTC require usage of DCP?

From: Christer Holmberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2014 14:27:56 +0000

Hi,

As has been clarified, the usage of the DCP is optional when using the RTCWEB data channel.

Now, based on some discussions with my WebRTC API expert, it seems like the only thing that can trigger a JavaScript "open" event is the DCP OPEN- and ACK messages.

However, my understanding is that the demo we saw during the virtual interim did NOT use DCP, which would mean that it IS possible for a JS App to use the data channel without DCP?

Regards,

Christer

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2014 11:09:41 -0500

On 2/6/14 9:27 AM, Christer Holmberg wrote:
> Now, based on some discussions with my WebRTC API expert, it seems like
> the only thing that can trigger a JavaScript “open” event is the DCP
> OPEN- and ACK messages.
>
> However, my understanding is that the demo we saw during the virtual
> interim did NOT use DCP, which would mean that it IS possible for a JS
> App to use the data channel without DCP?

I don't know a lot about this, but it is my understanding that this is 
possible.

I think it is a matter of "creating" the channel, with a specific stream 
ID, without doing an OPEN. I think this must be done on both ends before 
messages are sent.

If one were to use the ejzak draft's sdp to negotiate the channel then 
this is what you would do.

	Thanks,
	Paul