Subject: [clue] Design team meeting on protocols

From: Christian Groves <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2014 13:53:41 +1100

Hello,

I won't be able to attend the design team meeting. The recent daylight 
saving time change means it's too late for my part of the world.

A couple of comments that might be relevant to discussions:
1) I still have an issue with the use of READV ACK for returning CLUE 
Info. The main issue is how to return an error if there's a fault in the 
CLUEinfo? e.g. for an Advertisement the MC can send a NACK indicating an 
error. I think its simply cleaner to always use an Advertisement to 
provide CLUE info.

2) With regards to the open ticket on partial updates, I provided 
draft-groves-clue-partial-update-00 to address this by presenting how 
partial updates could be done. I haven't received any feedback on this.

Regards, Christian

---

From: Mary Barnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2014 14:39:53 -0500

On Mon, Oct 6, 2014 at 9:53 PM, Christian Groves <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> error. I think its simply cleaner to always use an Advertisement to provide
> CLUE info.
>
[MB] We didn't discuss this on the call due to time constraints. As chair,
I take the lack of comments to mean that people are currently not
interested in solving this problem.  If people feel otherwise, please
respond no later than October 20th, so we can decide how to move forward.
Christian - are you planning on being at IETF-91?  If not, then it would be
quite challenging to completely resolve this in a timely manner.  We are
behind schedule and it would be really good to finish the core
specifications and then look at this problem if there is consensus that
people want to handle this issue.
[/MB]

>
> Regards, Christian
>
> _______________________________________________
> clue mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/clue
>

---

From: Christian Groves <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2014 10:38:21 +1100

Hello Mary,

On 14/10/2014 6:39 AM, Mary Barnes wrote:
>
>
> On Mon, Oct 6, 2014 at 9:53 PM, Christian Groves 
> <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>> 
> wrote:
>
>     Hello,
>
>     I won't be able to attend the design team meeting. The recent
>     daylight saving time change means it's too late for my part of the
>     world.
>
>     1) I still have an issue with the use of READV ACK for returning
>     CLUE Info. The main issue is how to return an error if there's a
>     fault in the CLUEinfo? e.g. for an Advertisement the MC can send a
>     NACK indicating an error. I think its simply cleaner to always use
>     an Advertisement to provide CLUE info.
>
>     draft-groves-clue-partial-update-00 to address this by presenting
>     how partial updates could be done. I haven't received any feedback
>     on this.
>
> [MB] We didn't discuss this on the call due to time constraints. As 
> chair, I take the lack of comments to mean that people are currently 
> not interested in solving this problem.  If people feel otherwise, 
> please respond no later than October 20th, so we can decide how to 
> move forward.  Christian - are you planning on being at IETF-91?  If 
> not, then it would be quite challenging to completely resolve this in 
> a timely manner.  We are behind schedule and it would be really good 
> to finish the core specifications and then look at this problem if 
> there is consensus that people want to handle this issue.
> [/MB]
[CNG] Unfortunately I won't be at the upcoming IETF. The reason I 
submitted the draft was to try to progress the open issues on the 
protocol document, of which partial updates was one. The intention was 
to indicate what would be required for the partial update mechanism so 
that we could make an educated decision on whether or not to include the 
mechanism rather than just closing the item because there was no input. 
The approach and mechanism isn't really new as its been used to modify 
other XML based protocols so it shouldn't be controversial. From the 
meeting notes 
(http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/clue/trac/attachment/wiki/Design-Team/minutes-141007.txt):
* Ticket #25 – deltas for ADV?
   71    Will include the groves partial update mechanism in next version
   72
   73    Will make use of deltas a MAY.
It sounded like it would be added?
I'm OK if we decide not to include it in the core protocol spec at the 
moment. However we should ensure that the protocol extension mechanisms 
would support the inclusion of the partial update mechanism at a later time.

Was the READV issue discussed?

Regards, Christian
>     [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>