Subject: [clue] XML review of draft-ietf-clue-protocol

From: "Martin Thomson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2019 09:00:54 +1100

(I sent the original of this email in October 2018, then forgot about it.  Apparently it never made it through.  Here's hoping that it works this time.  Trying with a different, maybe better privileged, account.)
---

I was asked to provide expert review of the registrations for the XML
schema in this document and noticed a few problems.  I also have a few
suggestions.

1. Don't use schemaLocation in this document, especially in the
schema, but also in examples.

2. Please try to be more consistent with prefixes throughout.  The
namespace defined in the draft is sometimes given no prefix, sometimes
the overly generic "ns2".  I appreciate that these are generated
examples, but more thought needs to be given to that.  In particular,
the schema assigns two different prefixes to the same namespace.

3. This definition is useless:

    <xs:attribute name="protocol" type="xs:string" fixed="CLUE"
        use="required" />

All that a definition like this does is force people to waste bytes.
The namespace is sufficient to identify the protocol.  Use of fixed
and required attributes is best left to restrictions of complex types.

4. You can add the attribute extension point to the base message
definition.  Element extensions unfortunately have to be attached to
specific message types for ordering reasons, but attributes are
unordered.

5. Consider vertical whitespace in your code.  It helps readability
considerably.

---

From: "Martin Thomson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2019 12:39:01 +1100

In the form of RFC editor notes for the first item:

Section 9:
REMOVE:
   NOTE TO THE RFC-Editor: Please replace "data-model-schema-19.xsd"
   with the right schema location for the CLUE data model schema
   document (which is still to be defined at the time of this writing)
   in this section prior to publication as an RFC.

REMOVE:
        xmlns:tns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:clue-protocol"

OLD:
  <xs:import namespace="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:clue-info"
        schemaLocation="clue-data-model-schema-19.xsd" />
NEW:
  <xs:import namespace="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:clue-info"/>

And in Sections 10.1 through 10.9:
REMOVE:
    xsi:schemaLocation="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:clue-protocol
    http://wpage.unina.it/spromano/clue-protocol-17-schema-file.xsd"

The others would have been better to fix, but they don't need to block document publication.

On Tue, Dec 17, 2019, at 09:00, Martin Thomson wrote:
> (I sent the original of this email in October 2018, then forgot about 
> it.  Apparently it never made it through.  Here's hoping that it works 
> this time.  Trying with a different, maybe better privileged, account.)
> ---
>