Subject: [cnit] CNIT Charter bashing..

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2015 11:03:49 -0400

My running assumption after DISPATCH last week is we have a conditional go
ahead to proceed to a WG if we can answer the questions posed which, if
memory serves me,

A. Refine and or further define the problem we are trying to solve.

B. Include into the requirements the Trust Validation concept.  I presume
Brian is willing to help edit text on that.

I do have a issue for the AD¹s. I really want to know up front if we have to
define a new header here.

I would like to know in advance the level of torture we are going to have to
deal with.

************
CNIT Charter [Calling Name Identity Trust]
 
WG Chairs TBD:
 
Calling Name Delivery [CNAM] is currently a string of 15 ASCII and/or
potentially 50 characters of information associated with a specific E.164
calling party number in the Public Switched Telephone Network [PSTN] as
defined in ITU-T Recommendation I.251.9. This PSTN data is sent by the
originating network only at the specific request of the terminating network
via a SS7 Transaction Application Part [TCAP] response message.  In the
Session Initiation Protocol [SIP] this information can be inserted into the
FROM: part of the originating INVITE message or imbedded in the Provider
Asserted Identity [PAI] header.
 
As with the originating source telephone number, this data can be altered in
transit creating a variety of malicious abuses similar to the ones
identified by the IETF STIR working group.
 
The purpose of the CNIT working group will be to define a data structure, a
new SIP header or repurpose an existing SIP header to carry an advanced
form(s) of trusted multi media CNAM as well as information from a STIR
Validation Authority.  The purpose of this work is to present to the SIP
called party trusted information from the calling party in order that the
called party make a more reasoned and informed judgment on whether to accept
the INVITE or not.
 
The working group will not invalidate any existing SIP mechanism for
anonymous calling. 
 
The working group will not define registration, provisioning or data query
response mechanisms for the creation and storage of the CNIT data object(s)
.
 
The working group will, to the best of its ability, reuse existing IETF
protocols.
 
Full Internationalization of the Calling Name Identity Trust data object(s)
is a requirement.
 
The working group will closely work with the IETF STIR working group
 
The working group will immediately liaison with 3GPP SA-1 and other
appropriate SDO¹s in order to coordinate efforts.
 
The working group will coordinate with National Numbering Authorities and
National Regulatory Authorities as needed.
 
The working group will deliver the flowing.
 
·     A problem statement and requirements detailing the current deployment
environment and situations that motivate work on Calling Name Identity
Trust.

·     Define either a new SIP header or document a repurpose of an SIP
existing header for Calling Name Identify Trust data

·     Define a data model for the Calling Name Identity Trust object (s)
which may include various forms of multimedia data.

·     Define a Trust Mechanism for CNIT data. (Brian text?)

·     Deliver an analysis of privacy implications of the proposed Calling
Name Identity Trust mechanism.

Milestones:
 
January 2016 : Problem Statement and Requirements for Calling Name Identity
Trust
 
April 2016 : Data Objects and SIP headers for Calling Name Identity Trust
 
November 2016 :  Trust Mechanism for Calling Name Identity Trust

 
‹ 
Richard Shockey
Shockey Consulting LLC
Chairman of the Board SIP Forum
www.shockey.us
www.sipforum.org
richard<at>shockey.us
Skype-Linkedin-Facebook rshockey101
PSTN +1 703-593-2683