Subject: Status codes

From: Leslie Daigle <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 17:45:29 -0400

Howdy,

Sent my last message to the wrong e-mail address; we'll see whether
it bounces.

The gist of the message was:

A while back, I'd suggested (and I think Nico supported) the notion
that the status codes as currently outlined in the document are
pretty intricate/complex.  The document editors didn't feel there
was enough discussion of the issues to declare consensus and write
it up -- so we need to revisit the issue and find consensus.

The floor is open...

Leslie.

P.S.: I'll be away from my e-mail from this weekend through June 25,
so:  amusez-vous bien ;-)

--

-------------------------------------------------------------------
"My body obeys Aristotelian laws of physics."
   -- ThinkingCat

Leslie Daigle
[email-masked]
-------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Nicolas Popp <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 21:18:40 -0700

>Oxymoron, no?
Indeed, now that I have re-read  the status code section. I actually
convinced myself that it was making sense after reading Michael's first
document (persistent meaning if you try the same query again, you'll get an
error again, and transient, meaning that the service/server is still
operational)!. Oh well...That seems much simpler now!!

>As I understand things, these would all be 5.x.x statuses --
>permanent failure.

yep.

-----Original Message-----
From: Leslie Daigle
To: [email-masked]
Sent: 6/16/00 6:32 PM
Subject: Re: Status codes

Hmmm...

Nicolas Popp wrote:
>
> 4.1.0 -- An error in the query caused a persistent transient failure
                                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Oxymoron, no?  This should be just transient failure.  (As has
been updated in Michael's longer list of error codes, in the
current-ish version of the doc).

> So it encompasses many cases:
> 1. Invalid property name, type or value
> 2. Bad XML
> 3. Everything else that can be bad with a query (e.g. no query
fields...)
> and nothing could be done...

As I understand things, these would all be 5.x.x statuses --
permanent failure.

"Permanent", as in, "no matter how many times you do this, at
whatever time of day, I'm still going to give you the same answer".
As opposed to "my database seems to have disappeared and my SQL
queries are returning reams of error messages, could you call back
some other time and I'll see what I can do?" sort of a transient
failure.

Bad XML isn't going to get any better...  So, I think the things
you're talking about are valid, but wrong status code level.

[Michael had written:]
> Hmm...then which code do I use for when the client sends something
> that doesn't conform to the DTD?

Perhaps it would help if you explained why

  5.1.0 -- An error in the query caused a permanent failure

wouldn't cut it for that case?  Are you thinking that's too
general?

Leslie.

--

Leslie Daigle
[email-masked]