Subject: Re: Service, Server, Dataset

From: Nicolas Popp <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 00:17:24 -0700

So far, the query / result had been simply defined as only containing flat
key / value pairs (core, base or custom properties). Allowing a service
object within the query would change that.

Also, we would have to specify how to encode the service object as part of
the query within a cnrp uri...

So maybe the trick is to stick with Leslie's proposal with one small change:
define datasetURI as a base property:

<property name="dataseturi">foo:bar</property> (instead of the core property
<dataseturi>).

That way, we get what what we needed with less impact:

. it is a base property not a core property which makes it a less prominent
. all defined objects can already contain base or custom  properties in our
DTD, so:
  - service can use it to specify which datasets it implements.
- query can use it to specify which datasets (one or many) should be
queried.
  - referral can include it to specify which dataset it points to.

-Nico

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Mealling
To: [email-masked]
Sent: 6/3/00 5:27 AM
Subject: Re: Service, Server, Dataset

On Fri, Jun 02, 2000 at 10:13:25PM -0400, Leslie Daigle wrote:
> Nicolas Popp wrote:
> > datasetURI is just an attribute of service and we allow a query to
include a
> > service object as a query parameter to let the client specify which
dataset
> > it wants to draw from...
>
> This requires a change, yes?  I.e., it's not currently possible?
>
> Because that's my only concern with Michael's refinement -- that
> you can't include it in a query.
>
> If we can, I'm cool with it.

We could modify the DTD to include something to talk about it.
If we're modifying the DTD to support it then its no big thing
to modify the query to support it...

-MM

--
------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------
Michael Mealling        |      Vote Libertarian!       |
www.rwhois.net/michael
Sr. Research Engineer   |   www.ga.lp.org/gwinnett     | ICQ#:
14198821
Network Solutions       |          www.lp.org          |
[email-masked]

---

From: Leslie Daigle <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 10:09:40 -0400

Howdy,

> <property name="dataseturi">foo:bar</property> (instead of the core property

This works for me.

The most important thing we get out of this discussion, I think,
is clarification re. how to handle datasets -- specifically, that it is
NOT assumed/required to be the same thing as serviceURI, which
clarifies serviceURI.

Leslie.

--

-------------------------------------------------------------------
"My body obeys Aristotelian laws of physics."
   -- ThinkingCat

Leslie Daigle
[email-masked]
-------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Michael Mealling <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 10:57:17 -0400

> > <property name="dataseturi">foo:bar</property> (instead of the core property

Same here....

> NOT assumed/required to be the same thing as serviceURI, which

Correct.

Some clarificatiosn are needed:
Are IDs unique to a dataset or a Service?

If the dataset is a URI then we have this oddity in the CNRP URI:

cnrp://foo.com/foo?datseturi=http://bar.com/

Not disallowed but kind of funky...

-MM

--
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Michael Mealling        |      Vote Libertarian!       | www.rwhois.net/michael
Sr. Research Engineer   |   www.ga.lp.org/gwinnett     | ICQ#:         14198821
Network Solutions       |          www.lp.org          |  [email-masked]

---

From: Leslie Daigle <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 11:10:57 -0400

> Are IDs unique to a dataset or a Service?

Yes, clarification is needed.  Having thought about it for a day,
here's a counter question:

What's the relationship between a service and servers?  I.e.,
must all servers for a given service serve the same data?
If they do not, are they a different service offered by the same
organization?

Leslie.

--

Leslie Daigle
[email-masked]

---

From: Michael Mealling <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 14:26:10 -0400

> If they do not, are they a different service offered by the same

IMHO, all servers cooperating in providing a Service have to be identical
or else its more than one Service....

Again, IMHO....

hmm....the potential for getting quite nutty is very near the surface of
this one....

-MM