Subject: Re: Service, Server, Dataset

From: Nicolas Popp <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 13:01:26 -0700

It seems to me that once we have introduced the dataset properties, we must
go all the way and support the general case.

that is:

. a service can support multiple datasets (can contain  multiple dataseturi
properties).
. a server can serve one or many datasets (can can contain multiple
dataseturi properties)

So, this should be valid:

<service>
  <serviceuri>http://acmecorp.com</serviceuri>
  <property name="dataseturi">http://companies.acmecorp.com</property>
  <property name="dataseturi">http://products.acmecorp.com</property>
  <servers>
        <server>

<serveruri>http://www.companies.acmecorp.com:8888/cnrp?</serveruri>
            <property
name="dataseturi">http://companies.acmecorp.com</property>
        </server>
        <server>

<serveruri>http://www.products.acmecorp.com:8888/cnrp?</serveruri>
            <property
name="dataseturi">http://products.acmecorp.com</property>
        </server>
        <server>
            <serveruri>http://www.acmecorp.com:8888/cnrp?</serveruri>
            <property
name="dataseturi">http://companies.acmecorp.com</property>
            <property
name="dataseturi">http://products.acmecorp.com</property>
        </server>
   </servers>
</service>

-Nico

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Mealling [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, June 06, 2000 11:26 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Service, Server, Dataset

On Tue, Jun 06, 2000 at 11:10:57AM -0400, Leslie Daigle wrote:
> Michael Mealling wrote:
> > Some clarificatiosn are needed:
> > Are IDs unique to a dataset or a Service?
>
> Yes, clarification is needed.  Having thought about it for a day,
> here's a counter question:
>
> What's the relationship between a service and servers?  I.e.,
> must all servers for a given service serve the same data?
> If they do not, are they a different service offered by the same
> organization?

IMHO, all servers cooperating in providing a Service have to be identical
or else its more than one Service....

Again, IMHO....

hmm....the potential for getting quite nutty is very near the surface of
this one....

-MM

--
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----
Michael Mealling        |      Vote Libertarian!       |
www.rwhois.net/michael
Sr. Research Engineer   |   www.ga.lp.org/gwinnett     | ICQ#:
14198821
Network Solutions       |          www.lp.org          |
[email-masked]

---

From: Leslie Daigle <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 18:05:40 -0400

Actually, forget datasets for the minute.

If services can have servers with different data, then a referral has
to be to a server/set of servers, not a service.   What role, then,
does a service play?  Is it an administrative entity?  Does it
define how queries are matched (i.e., all that we've said about
services distinguishing themselves), so that all servers of one
service will (whatever their dataset) apply the same rules for
matching charactersets, etc?

If all of a service's servers serve the same data (and how much
wood CAN a woodchuck chuck?!), then a referral is to a service,
and the servers simply provide load-balancing (mirroring).  Again,
though, do all the same matching rules apply across all servers?

Leslie.

--

-------------------------------------------------------------------
"My body obeys Aristotelian laws of physics."
   -- ThinkingCat

Leslie Daigle
[email-masked]
-------------------------------------------------------------------