Subject: Re: Status codes

From: Nicolas Popp <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 14:31:01 -0700

4.1.0 -- An error in the query caused a persistent transient failure

So it encompasses many cases:
1. Invalid property name, type or value
2. Bad XML
3. Everything else that can be bad with a query (e.g. no query fields...)
and nothing could be done...

  4.2.3 -- The XML was invalid and nothing could be done.
This is essentially your standard syntax error message...

Based on your comments, it sounds like we should elaborate on what 4.1.0
really means then...

 -Nico

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Mealling [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, June 16, 2000 12:04 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Status codes

On Fri, Jun 16, 2000 at 11:53:14AM -0700, Nicolas Popp wrote:
> >This one needs a correlating error in 400 level codes....
>
> Maybe not. I think that it can be rolled within 4.1.0. My gut feel was
that
> only the instance where the server ignores some element of the query but
> still returns some results seems seems an important special case to
deserve
> its own code ...On the other hand, if you feel strongly about it...

Hmm...then which code do I use for when the client sends something
that doesn't conform to the DTD?

-MM

--
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----
Michael Mealling        |      Vote Libertarian!       |
www.rwhois.net/michael
Sr. Research Engineer   |   www.ga.lp.org/gwinnett     | ICQ#:
14198821
Network Solutions       |          www.lp.org          |
[email-masked]

---

From: Leslie Daigle <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 21:32:50 -0400

Hmmm...

> 4.1.0 -- An error in the query caused a persistent transient failure
                                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Oxymoron, no?  This should be just transient failure.  (As has
been updated in Michael's longer list of error codes, in the
current-ish version of the doc).

> and nothing could be done...

As I understand things, these would all be 5.x.x statuses --
permanent failure.

"Permanent", as in, "no matter how many times you do this, at
whatever time of day, I'm still going to give you the same answer".
As opposed to "my database seems to have disappeared and my SQL
queries are returning reams of error messages, could you call back
some other time and I'll see what I can do?" sort of a transient
failure.

Bad XML isn't going to get any better...  So, I think the things
you're talking about are valid, but wrong status code level.

[Michael had written:]
> that doesn't conform to the DTD?

Perhaps it would help if you explained why

  5.1.0 -- An error in the query caused a permanent failure

wouldn't cut it for that case?  Are you thinking that's too
general?

Leslie.

--

-------------------------------------------------------------------
"My body obeys Aristotelian laws of physics."
   -- ThinkingCat

Leslie Daigle
[email-masked]
-------------------------------------------------------------------