Subject: Re: Service, Server, Dataset

From: Leslie Daigle <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 22:13:25 -0400

Nicolas Popp wrote:
> datasetURI is just an attribute of service and we allow a query to include a
> service object as a query parameter to let the client specify which dataset
> it wants to draw from...

This requires a change, yes?  I.e., it's not currently possible?

Because that's my only concern with Michael's refinement -- that
you can't include it in a query.

If we can, I'm cool with it.

Leslie.

--

-------------------------------------------------------------------
"My body obeys Aristotelian laws of physics."
   -- ThinkingCat

Leslie Daigle
[email-masked]
-------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Nicolas Popp <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 18:03:43 -0700

That seems to work.
My concern is that this promotes datasetURI to the level of a core property
which gives it way more importance/exposure than it really deserves...

However, Michael's improvement may well solve that issue if I understand it
correctly:
datasetURI is just an attribute of service and we allow a query to include a
service object as a query parameter to let the client specify which dataset
it wants to draw from...

-Nico

-----Original Message-----
From: Leslie Daigle [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, June 02, 2000 1:08 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Service, Server, Dataset

Well, after that rousing e-discussion(*), here's the proposal (clarified
and improved by an out-of-band discussion with Michael):

        . bring back serviceURI in the service object, but only
          as a _service_ URI (not fudging for datasets)

        . create a new "well-known" property in the document:
          datasetURI, which is meant to be a unique identifier
          for (not location of) a dataset.

Uses/convention:

        . any result MAY be tagged with the dataset it is
          from (because datasetURI is a property)

        . the service object MAY include the one or more datasetURIs
          for the datasets it covers

        . query URIs can be properly focused to individual datasets
          because datasetURI is a property (cf Nico's points re.
          "path" in URI, earlier this week)

        . results MAY contain more than one service object for
          a single service, so that individual service<->datasetURI
          bindings can be referenced in results and referral
          objects

        . referrals:  if the service object id'ed in a referral
          object contains more than one datasetURI, the client
          CANNOT assume that the hit was in both datasets --
          it could have been in one or the other.

For example:

   <?xml version="1.0"?>
   <!DOCTYPE cnrp PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD CNRP 1.0//EN">
   <cnrp>
        <results>
             <service id="0">
                  <serviceuri>http://acmecorp.com</serviceuri>
                  <dataseturi>urn:oid:1.2.3.4.666.5.4.3.1</dataseturi>
             </service>
             <service id="1">
                  <serviceuri>http://acmecorp.com</serviceuri>

<dataseturi>urn:oid:1.2.3.4.666.10.9.8.7.6</dataseturi>

             </service>
             <service id="2">

<serviceuri>http://servers.anothercorp.co.uk</serviceuri>
                  <dataseturi>urn:oid:1.2.3.4.666.5.4.3.1</dataseturi>

             </service>
             <resource>
                       <commonname>Fidonet</commonname>
                       <id>1333459455</id>
                       <resourceuri>http://www.fidonet.ca</resourceuri>
                       <serviceref ref="0" />
                       <description>This is ye olde Canadian
                          Fidonet</description>
             </resource>
             <resource>
                       <commonname>Fidonet</commonname>
                       <id>1333459455</id>
                       <resourceuri>http://host:port/bla</resourceuri>
                       <serviceRef ref="1" />
             </resource>
             <referral>
                 <serviceRef ref="1" />
             </referral>
        </results>
   </cnrp>

This enables the concept of datasetURI, without _requiring_
implementation of by services, and without perturbing top-level
CNRP.

Are there proposals for improvement of this, or do people think
that cnrp SHOULD NOT support the concept of datasets?

Leslie.

(*) NOT!
--

Leslie Daigle
[email-masked]

---

From: Michael Mealling <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2000 08:27:39 -0400

> If we can, I'm cool with it.

We could modify the DTD to include something to talk about it.
If we're modifying the DTD to support it then its no big thing
to modify the query to support it...

-MM

--
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Michael Mealling        |      Vote Libertarian!       | www.rwhois.net/michael
Sr. Research Engineer   |   www.ga.lp.org/gwinnett     | ICQ#:         14198821
Network Solutions       |          www.lp.org          |  [email-masked]