Subject: potential IP on go:?

From: Michael Mealling <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 13:24:07 -0400

Me again...

  I've looked and our lawyer looked and we came to the same conclusion
everyone else did: there are not patents on using "go:" and since
its a functional element and not a tradename it isn't part of a trademark...

Unless I hear some vocal opposition I'm going to make the change since
I heard several "yea that's a good idea" messages go by...

-MM

--
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Michael Mealling        |      Vote Libertarian!       | www.rwhois.net/michael
Sr. Research Engineer   |   www.ga.lp.org/gwinnett     | ICQ#:         14198821
Network Solutions       |          www.lp.org          |  [email-masked]

---

From: James Seng <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 08:58:39 +0800

I think it is a bad idea. CNRP can be use beyond web browser and thus, in
those cases, go: just dont make sense.

-James Seng

---

From: Michael Mealling <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 22:08:32 -0400

> those cases, go: just dont make sense.

Just to be clear: "go:" is not part of the common-name, its the URI
scheme for CNRP. So its only used where you treat the common-name as
something for consumption by a web browser (or the equivalent)...

-MM

---

From: James Seng <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 18:50:51 +0800

> something for consumption by a web browser (or the equivalent)...

Supposing I build a CNRP Email client (okok, i know there is LDAP but lets
ignore that for a sec), so am i supposed to type "go:Michael Mealling"?

-James Seng

---

From: Michael Mealling <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 07:11:29 -0400

> ignore that for a sec), so am i supposed to type "go:Michael Mealling"?

Not unless you also tell your mail client to send mail by typing
mailto:[email-masked]. I.e. if your app understands URIs only (the
way most web browsers do) then use "go:". If it doesn't then there's
no reason for you to use it...

-MM