Subject: Re: Sub-Names

From: Adam Theo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 20:47:53 -0400

Hello, Adam Theo here

great about cnrp supporting any type of syntax structure. are the servers
able to interpret different characters different ways? so it would be
possible for a service to define the '@' character as purely a seperator
between a main-name and a sub-name?

and also, i'm afraid i must have been a bit unclear in my original email.
i never intended to directly translate domain names and the domain name
structure over to the CN namespace (search.yahoo, something.msn, etc.).
i was merely using the domain name examples to better convey how my idea
worked. i hate the dots-with-run-on-words syntax of the domain name space
for any type of consumer- or general public-based navigation system.
i was only trying to explain that the 'idea' of sub-domain names should
be implemented in the common name system (which i now find out it already
can, correct?).

ie: [sub-name] [seperating character] [main-name] (or in reversed order
for many non-english languages).

ie: Shop @ Yahoo! would take the browser directly to Yahoo!'s shop section,
instead of the user having to type in the CN of Yahoo!, then follow links
to get to Yahoo!'s shop section. and also instead of Yahoo! having to
register/buy a whole 'nother CN solely for the purpose of directing users
to their shop section. they can instead just make use of their existing
CN they already have.

also, the reason i emphesize the seperating character (@, >>, or whatever),
is because if a CN service uses or allows eBay to use something along
the lines of 'eBay [item to search]', what happens if someone comes along
trying to register an actual CN of 'eBay Books'? do i make any sense?
how is the server able to differentiate between a sub-name with main-name
between just simply a multiple-word main-name?

--
Adam Theo
[email-masked] - EMail
3617306 (Adam Theo) - ICQ
1 (404) 978 1263 x2974 - VoiceMail/Fax
Proudly Running Linux!

___________________________________________________________________
To get your own FREE ZDNet Onebox - FREE voicemail, email, and fax,
all in one place - sign up today at http://www.zdnetonebox.com