Subject: Re: Sub-Names

From: Nicolas Popp <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 22:23:01 -0700

>correct? however, this is assuming no one else other than eBay has
>registered the CN 'ebay collector' or 'ebay collector books'.

Yes. At least, that's the way RealNames addressed that problem. Nobody else
than Ebay can subscribe a name in the form "ebay *". So, nobody else than
Ebay can subscribe 'ebay collector books' (the service has rules about who
can get what (it is not first come, first serve). In that respect, it is
similar to DNS. Once you get the domain ebay.com, you control the IP address
that collectors.books.ebay.com points to.

Although a fascinating issue, note that name assignment policy is out of
scope of this working group effort...

-Nico

-----Original Message-----
From: Adam Theo
To: Nicolas Popp
Cc: [email-masked]
Sent: 7/18/00 9:38 PM
Subject: Re: Sub-Names

Hello, Adam Theo here

mr. popp: ah, thank you for all of that. finally i understand that what
has been designed has been designed to only pass along *all* of the
common
name string to the service, to let the service do as it wants and apply
whatever rules it wishes to the string. thank you.

one thing, however. it's bugging me still. i'll use your example of
'ebay
collector books' for this one.

okay, eBay, the popular online auctioneer, has registered the CN of
'eBay'
with the service, right? any extra info in the CN string after 'eBay',
the service passes along to eBay for it to do as it wants with. run the
rest of the string through a search engine, redirect it to a fixed
resource,
etc. correct? however, this is assuming no one else other than eBay has
registered the CN 'ebay collector' or 'ebay collector books'. what if
someone did? then the service would interpret the CN query as asking
for this second CN, and pass the client along to this other resource
also passing along any extra info in the string, instead of to eBay.
that's why i thought a character seperator was needed, to make sure
someone
didn't redirect a result that would have otherwise gone somewhere else.

please forgive me if i am missing a bluntly obvoius point here, but it
worries me that someone could register and use a CN, making use of extra
info passed along in the string by it's customers, then another person
comes along, registers and uses a variation of my CN, which results in
my customers being directed somewhere they had not expected to go to.

--
Adam Theo
[email-masked] - EMail
3617306 (Adam Theo) - ICQ
1 (404) 978 1263 x2974 - VoiceMail/Fax
Proudly Running Linux!

___________________________________________________________________
To get your own FREE ZDNet Onebox - FREE voicemail, email, and fax,
all in one place - sign up today at http://www.zdnetonebox.com

---

From: "Marshall L. Moseley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 14:49:37 -0700

>>Although a fascinating issue, note that name assignment policy is out of
scope of this working group effort...>>

And that is by intent, Adam.  CNRP is not intended to be a global naming
service.  It's meant for information databases of a specific, targeted
nature.  (Medical, academic, whatever.)  In essence, CNs are highly
abstracted search criteria and are *not* globally--or even locally--unique
names.

--Marshall

---

From: James Seng <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 13:21:20 +0800

Come to think about it, the idea of "sub-name" could be achieve using
custom property, e.g.

...
<commonname>Learning XML</commonname>
<property name="category" type="freeform">Books</property>
<property name="shop" type="freefrom">Amazon</property>
...

How useful it is is another question...

-James Seng