Subject: language & location

From: Adam Theo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 14:52:46 -0400

Hello, Adam Theo here

sorry for this reply to that thread being a bit late. just now finally
got around to reading email for the past few days.

on the matter of language, the client (forgive my terminology if incorrect.
the web browser, whatever) should have the power to send no language
(or rather a blank value for the language field), just the main language
(en, fr, etc.), or both main and subset (en-US, fr-CA, etc.). the server
and service (i think i've picked up on the term here. the service is
the organization's implimentation of the CN system, correct?) should
then have the power to decide what to do with the language info. such
as ignore any sub-set info, use all info provided, etc. the server or
service should not be able to force certain info, however. it should
not force the client to make use of the sub-set language info, instead
should simply use the main-set language info to and do the best it can.

similar with location field, which we should have for sure. language,
no matter how specific, is no substitute for location, since a person
who speaks mandarin chinese for his primary language could be living
in california, not manchuria. by the way, how is location sent to the
service? something like language? ex: us-NY (new york state), or uk-SC
(scotland?).

again, client should have the power to be as specific as user wants,
and server/service should have to do it's best to deal with the information
provided, not be able to force the client to send certain info it doesn't
want to to make use of the service.

--
Adam Theo
[email-masked] - EMail
3617306 (Adam Theo) - ICQ
1 (404) 978 1263 x2974 - VoiceMail/Fax
Proudly Running Linux!

___________________________________________________________________
To get your own FREE ZDNet Onebox - FREE voicemail, email, and fax,
all in one place - sign up today at http://www.zdnetonebox.com

---

From: Michael Mealling <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 15:16:00 -0400

> want to to make use of the service.

This is actually teh case for all properties. The client can send
whatever it wants, its up to the server to attempt to use that
to give the client the best list of results. So yes, the clietn can
be as specific as it wants and the service/server does its best to deal
with it...

-MM

--
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Michael Mealling        |      Vote Libertarian!       | www.rwhois.net/michael
Sr. Research Engineer   |   www.ga.lp.org/gwinnett     | ICQ#:         14198821
Network Solutions       |          www.lp.org          |  [email-masked]