Subject: Introduction from a New List Member & Questions.

From: Adam Theo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2000 04:00:28 -0400

Hello, Adam Theo here

i just subscribed to this list. i am interested in the prospect of using
so called 'common names' as navigation of the internet, and believe that
it is a natural step in the internet's evolution. i'm just surprised
that it hasn't been focused on by the mainstream media or even finished
before now, since i do feel it is such a logical next move. i am *very*
interested in helping to develop and inplement this technology.

that said, i will give a brief bio of myself. i'm a very practical person
who supports both consumer/citizen rights and both big and small business.
i believe in libertarianism very strongly, although am what i call a
'practical libertarian'. i support such things as no income taxation
(instead support property taxation as a means of taxation), but certainly
do not believe anything government is bad. i consider myself a very fair
person. oh, yes. i'm 21, living in florida, USA, and while have a good
amount of web-based experience (everything from learning html years ago
to toying with a small linux server when i can), but little to no experience
in hard core programming or working in the gritty stuff of protocols
and the underlying processes. i am very eager to learn all of it, though.

now a few questions:

how active is this list? as per avg messages/day and number of people
actively involved.

are the people on this list fairly well distributed accross the US and
world, or are most of them located around a certain campus or other facility
in some city?

and also, a very opinionistic question: how well does this project seem
to be going so far? is there a projected scedule of accomplishments?
if so, has reality stuck to it, or is the project taking longer than
expected? do most of the people on this list agree with the large majority
of the issues discussed, or is this a typical developing technology that
brings up a lot of differing opinions on how something should be done
in it?

has this list only tackeled the 'true geeky' side of the technology,
or has it also addressed the very real issue of politics and government
in it? for example, administering of the 'Common Name Space'. who is
going to do it? has this list decided upon ICANN, IANA, or something
else? or not resolved this issue at all?

thank you all, i hope to have a very educational experience at this list,
learning things i would not have otherwise been exposed to. have patience
with me, i will be lost on most of the technical aspects until i can
find some newbieized resources to help me learn the technologies behind
this. but i will never dry up on tips and suggestions on how best to
implement it practically (my favorite word :) in the political and business
worlds. i have many suggestions already, but would like to first know
what the boundaries of this list is. i don't want to bring up political
issues if this list is purely for developing the technology alone.

--
Adam Theo
[email-masked] - EMail
3617306 (Adam Theo) - ICQ
1 (404) 978 1263 x2974 - VoiceMail/Fax
Proudly Running Linux!

___________________________________________________________________
To get your own FREE ZDNet Onebox - FREE voicemail, email, and fax,
all in one place - sign up today at http://www.zdnetonebox.com

---

From: Michael Mealling <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 09:28:23 -0400

> interested in helping to develop and inplement this technology.

Hehe. Give us some time. The Working Group has only been around a year...

> how active is this list? as per avg messages/day and number of people

I'd say activity is low due to a large amount of general concensus.
The folks actively involved writing documents are myself, Nico Popp
and Marshall Moseley. In our opinion we are nearing the end of
the document cycle (I have some edits to incorporate today but that's
about it). We expect some implementation announcements in Pittsburgh.

> world, or are most of them located around a certain campus or other facility

Mostly distributed. Why?

> to be going so far? is there a projected scedule of accomplishments?

We expect to be done at the Pittsburgh IETF...

> brings up a lot of differing opinions on how something should be done

There's a good deal of general concenus. Check out teh archives
http://lists.internic.net/archives/cnrp-ietf.html

> else? or not resolved this issue at all?

As with most IETF groups, politics and policy are right out. ;-) We did
discuss it long enough to rule issues like that as out of scope. We're
just specify the wire protocol....

-MM

--
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Michael Mealling        |      Vote Libertarian!       | www.rwhois.net/michael
Sr. Research Engineer   |   www.ga.lp.org/gwinnett     | ICQ#:         14198821
Network Solutions       |          www.lp.org          |  [email-masked]