Subject: Re: Sub-Names

From: Adam Theo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 00:38:13 -0400

Hello, Adam Theo here

mr. popp: ah, thank you for all of that. finally i understand that what
has been designed has been designed to only pass along *all* of the common
name string to the service, to let the service do as it wants and apply
whatever rules it wishes to the string. thank you.

one thing, however. it's bugging me still. i'll use your example of 'ebay
collector books' for this one.

okay, eBay, the popular online auctioneer, has registered the CN of 'eBay'
with the service, right? any extra info in the CN string after 'eBay',
the service passes along to eBay for it to do as it wants with. run the
rest of the string through a search engine, redirect it to a fixed resource,
etc. correct? however, this is assuming no one else other than eBay has
registered the CN 'ebay collector' or 'ebay collector books'. what if
someone did? then the service would interpret the CN query as asking
for this second CN, and pass the client along to this other resource
also passing along any extra info in the string, instead of to eBay.
that's why i thought a character seperator was needed, to make sure someone
didn't redirect a result that would have otherwise gone somewhere else.

please forgive me if i am missing a bluntly obvoius point here, but it
worries me that someone could register and use a CN, making use of extra
info passed along in the string by it's customers, then another person
comes along, registers and uses a variation of my CN, which results in
my customers being directed somewhere they had not expected to go to.

--
Adam Theo
[email-masked] - EMail
3617306 (Adam Theo) - ICQ
1 (404) 978 1263 x2974 - VoiceMail/Fax
Proudly Running Linux!

___________________________________________________________________
To get your own FREE ZDNet Onebox - FREE voicemail, email, and fax,
all in one place - sign up today at http://www.zdnetonebox.com