Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-fax-content-negotiation-00.txt

From: Graham Klyne <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 16:47:49 +0100

For those who may have missed it, here is a proposal for a protocol that
uses the CONNEG framework in e-mail...

#g
--

>A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
>This draft is a work item of the Internet Fax Working Group of the IETF.
>
>	Title		: Content Negotiation for Facsimile Using Internet Mail
>	Author(s)	: G. Klyne, R. Iwazaki,  D. Crocker
>	Filename	: draft-ietf-fax-content-negotiation-00.txt
>	Pages		: 28
>	Date		: 19-Oct-99
>	
>This memo describes a mechanism for e-mail content negotiation that
>allows Internet fax to transfer enhanced image data in a fashion
>comparable with traditional facsimile.
>It allows the sender of a message to indicate availability of
>alternative formats, and the receiver to indicate that an
>alternative format should be provided to replace the message data
>originally transmitted.
>
>A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
>http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-fax-content-negotiation-00.txt
>
>Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
>"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
>type "cd internet-drafts" and then
>	"get draft-ietf-fax-content-negotiation-00.txt".
>
>A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
>http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
>or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt
>
>
>Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.
>
>Send a message to:
>	[email-masked].
>In the body type:
>	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-fax-content-negotiation-00.txt".
>	
>NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
>	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
>	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
>	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
>	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
>	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
>	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
>	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
>	how to manipulate these messages.
>		
>		
>Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
>implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
>Internet-Draft.
>
><ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-fax-content-negotiation-00.t
xt>
------------
Graham Klyne
([email-masked])