Subject: [Cose] COSE Draft Charter - 20140417

From: "Kepeng Li" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 11:13:25 +0800

Hello all,

Please find the latest charter below.

@Paul / Carsten, can you help to update the web page to reflect the changes:
https://github.com/cose-spec/wg-charter/blob/master/draft-charter.md

OLD:
* April 2015: Submit COSE specification as a WG item
* 
* April 2015: Submit COSE constrained-appropriate algorithms as a WG item
* 
* June 2015: Submit COSE specification to the IESG, for publication as a
Proposed Standard
* 
* July 2015: Submit COSE constrained-appropriate algorithms to the IESG, for
publication as a Proposed Standard

NEW:

* WG formation date + 1 month: Submit COSE specification as a WG item
* 
* WG formation date + 1 month: Submit COSE constrained-appropriate
algorithms as a WG item
* 
* WG formation date + 6 month: Submit COSE specification to the IESG, for
publication as a Proposed Standard
* 
* WG formation date + 6 month: Submit COSE constrained-appropriate
algorithms to the IESG, for publication as a Proposed Standard

Let’s submit it to our ADs next week?

Kind Regards
Kepeng

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----

CBOR Object Signing and Encryption (COSE)
 <https://github.com/cose-spec/wg-charter/blob/master/draft-charter.md#chart
er-for-working-group> Charter for Working Group
Concise Binary Object Representation (CBOR, RFC 7049) is a concise binary
format for the serialization of data structured to an extended version of
the JSON data model. One motivation for CBOR was to make this data model
more amenable to constrained nodes and constrained node networks (RFC 7228).
The JOSE working group recently completed producing representations for
cryptographic keys, message authentication (MACs), encryption, and digital
signatures, using JSON representation. This working group will reuse the
work done by JOSE, adapting it to the capabilities of CBOR. This will rely
on the JOSE registries, which, where this provides additional efficiency,
will be expanded with additional information.
The resulting formats will not be cryptographically convertible from or to
JOSE formats. This lack of a need for bit-for-bit compabitility which will
enable some simplification in the adaptation process.
Criteria that should be considered on making decisions in changing from a
JSON to a CBOR encoding are:
* Keeping the current JOSE paradigms and formatting where feasible.
* 
* Minimizing message size, code size and computational complexity should be
considered (for the constrained environments where we expect to use this).
* 
* Improving security
* 
* Providing new functionality that uses of JOSE did not require, but are
required for the new use cases.

Issues dealing with key management and binding of keys to identities are out
of scope for the working group.
The Working group will coordinate its progress with the ACE, DICE and CORE
working groups to ensure that we are fulfilling the needs of these
constituencies. Other groups may be added to this list as the set of use
cases is expanded.
The WG will have two deliverables:
* a standards-track specification covering the same cryptographic formats
from JOSE, with optimizations for constrained device processing, expressed
in CBOR;
* registration for algorithms (such as AES-CCM-8) that are appropriate for
constrained environments.
The Working Group will use a wiki to track desired use cases for its work,
but does not intend to publish this as an RFC.
 <https://github.com/cose-spec/wg-charter/blob/master/draft-charter.md#miles
tones> Milestones
* WG formation date + 1 month: Submit COSE specification as a WG item
* 
* WG formation date + 1 month: Submit COSE constrained-appropriate
algorithms as a WG item
* 
* WG formation date + 6 month: Submit COSE specification to the IESG, for
publication as a Proposed Standard
* 
* WG formation date + 6 month: Submit COSE constrained-appropriate
algorithms to the IESG, for publication as a Proposed Standard

---

From: "Jim Schaad" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 21:01:15 -0700

This is now pull request #3

Jim

From: Cose [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Kepeng Li
Sent: Thursday, April 16, 2015 8:13 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Cose] COSE Draft Charter - 20140417

Hello all,

 <https://github.com/cose-spec/wg-charter/blob/master/draft-charter.md>
https://github.com/cose-spec/wg-charter/blob/master/draft-charter.md

OLD:

.      April 2015: Submit COSE specification as a WG item

.      April 2015: Submit COSE constrained-appropriate algorithms as a WG
item

.      June 2015: Submit COSE specification to the IESG, for publication as
a Proposed Standard

.      July 2015: Submit COSE constrained-appropriate algorithms to the
IESG, for publication as a Proposed Standard

NEW:

.      WG formation date + 1 month: Submit COSE specification as a WG item

.      WG formation date + 1 month: Submit COSE constrained-appropriate
algorithms as a WG item

.      WG formation date + 6 month: Submit COSE specification to the IESG,
for publication as a Proposed Standard

.      WG formation date + 6 month: Submit COSE constrained-appropriate
algorithms to the IESG, for publication as a Proposed Standard

Let's submit it to our ADs next week?

Kind Regards

Kepeng

Charter for Working Group

.      Keeping the current JOSE paradigms and formatting where feasible.

.      Minimizing message size, code size and computational complexity
should be considered (for the constrained environments where we expect to
use this).

.      Improving security

.      Providing new functionality that uses of JOSE did not require, but
are required for the new use cases.

*	a standards-track specification covering the same cryptographic
formats from JOSE, with optimizations for constrained device processing,
expressed in CBOR;
*	registration for algorithms (such as AES-CCM-8) that are appropriate
for constrained environments.

Milestones

.      WG formation date + 1 month: Submit COSE specification as a WG item

.      WG formation date + 1 month: Submit COSE constrained-appropriate
algorithms as a WG item

.      WG formation date + 6 month: Submit COSE specification to the IESG,
for publication as a Proposed Standard

.      WG formation date + 6 month: Submit COSE constrained-appropriate
algorithms to the IESG, for publication as a Proposed Standard