Subject: [COSE] 🛎 Call for Consensus: CounterSignature Discussion 🛎

From: "Matthew A. Miller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2020 09:28:55 -0600

This message is to confirm consensus to deprecate the current
CounterSignature feature and replace it with one that best accounts for
all COSE message types.

At the synchronous WG meeting on July 29, the issue with
countersignatures was heavily discussed.  In summary, the
currently-defined CounterSignature mechanism is not processed with the
cryptographic content for certain COSE message types.  The consensus
from the meeting is to mark the current CounterSignature process and
structure deprecated in rfc8152bis and define a new one that properly
accounts for the cryptographic.  Further consensus leaned toward an
aggressive approach, incorporating all bstr elements in the target
structure when computing the signature.

To complete the new CounterSignature method, the sense in the meeting is
to have a series of virtual interims.  The details of the new method and
where it fits as working group items is still to be determined.  Jim
Schaad posted a starting proposal for a method[1], and an initial
discussion on how to approach this as a working group item[2].

Given the participation in the meeting is very close to the
participation on the list, we are only seeking objections.  If you have
objections, please inform the list and why you object.  A following
message will propose times for interims, ideally starting this month
(August).

Thank you,

- Ivaylo and Matthew
COSE WG Chairs

--
[1]: <
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/cose/6-vyoetZboIdrwwEYoYlj9QY_3Q/ >
[2]: <
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/cose/8Mxcnsq9sm_pXQAm-2bexKxpaMU/ >