Subject: [COSE] 🔔 Call for Consensus Confirmation: Progressing rfc8152bis-struct and Countersignatures 🔔

From: "Matthew A. Miller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2020 13:58:21 -0600

Hello COSE WG,

The interim meeting today focused on countersignatures, and there was
rough consensus on a proposed plan.  The chairs are seeking any
objections for a proposed breakdown to move forward countersignatures.

1) The working group will have two documents: rfc8152bis-struct for the
current state of the art, and a separate (still to be written) document
that describes the improved countersignatures (colloquially V2).
-rfc8152bis-struct will include an informative reference to this new
document in order to progress.  Please inform the WG if you object to
separating countersignatures into a separate document.

2) The current countersignatures algorithm will be removed from
-rfc8152bis-struct, and in its place will be the rationale for
deprecating the "v1" countersignatures; readers will be directed to RFC
8152 for information on implementing them.  Please inform the WG if you
object to dropping "Countersignatures v1" from -rfc8152bis-struct.

Please respond to this message with your objection to (1) and/or (2)
above.  This call expires in approximately one week, on September 2.
Please be sure to respond with objections before then.

Thank you,
- Ivaylo and Matthew
COSE WG Chairs

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2020 16:55:51 -0400

I would have preferred one document, but I can live with this approach.

Russ

> On Aug 26, 2020, at 3:58 PM, Matthew A. Miller <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Hello COSE WG,
>

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2020 06:57:49 +0200

Unfortunately, circumstances made me miss yesterday’s meeting.
I fully support the way forward outlined below.
(I.e., I don’t have an objection, but wanted to make known that I’m part of the emerging consensus.)

Grüße, Carsten

> On 2020-08-26, at 21:58, Matthew A. Miller <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Hello COSE WG,
> 
> _______________________________________________
> COSE mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/cose

---

From: Göran Selander <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2020 05:47:17 +0000

+1

Göran

On 2020-08-27, 06:58, "COSE on behalf of Carsten Bormann" <[email-masked] on behalf of [email-masked]> wrote:

    Grüße, Carsten