Subject: [Ietf-not43] another structural change

From: [email-masked] (Andrew Newton)
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 17:32:50 -0500

For readability, I'd like to make another change with the consent of the 
group.  I'd like to consolidate the various domain lookup requirements 
into one section and the various domain search requirements into another 
section.

For instance, here is what the lookup section would look like:

3.2.1 Lookups

3.2.1.1 Protocol Requirement

    The protocol MUST contain the following lookup functions:

    1.  Contact lookup given a unique reference to a contact of a
        resource.

    2.  Nameserver lookup given a fully-qualified host name or IP address
        of a nameserver.

    3.  Domain lookup given a fully-qualfied domain name.  The protocol
        MUST be capable of supplying the following information relevant
        to the domain for this lookup:

        *  activation status

        *  registrant

        *  nameservers

        *  technical, billing or other contacts

        *  registry delegating the domain

        *  registrar for the domain

        The data set for the domain MUST be able to express arbitrary
        textual information for extensions on an individual operator
        basis.  Examples of such information are license agreements,
        authorzed use policies, extended status notifications, marketing/
        for sale notices, and URI references to other sources.

    The data sets for contacts, nameservers, and domains MUST be able to
    express and represent the attributes and allowable values of
    registration requests in domain registration and provisioning

3.2.1.2 Service Description

    These lookups are all single index queries and should produce zero or
    only one result.

    Depending on the policy and need of an Internet registry, a server
    operator may not allow all or any of these lookups to successfully
    return part or all of the information.

Here is what we currently have:

3.2.1 Contact Lookup

    The service MUST allow access to social data of contact entities
    given a unique reference to the contact entity.  The contact
    information set MUST be able to express and represent the attributes
    and allowable values of contact registration requests in domain
    registration and provisioning protocols.

3.2.2 Nameserver Lookup

    The service MUST allow access to operational and social data of a
    nameserver given the fully-qualified host name or IP address of a
    nameserver.  The host information set MUST be able to express and
    represent the attributes and allowable values of nameservers in
    domain registration and provisioning protocols.

3.2.4 Domain Information Lookup

    The service MUST provide access to operational and social data
    specific to a domain given the domain's fully qualified name (FQDN).
    The service MUST be capable of supplying the following information
    for this lookup:

    o  activation status

    o  registrant name and contact data

    o  hosting nameservers

    o  technical, billing or other entity types associated with the
       domain and their relevant contact data, if any exist

    o  the name of or a reference to the registry delegating the domain

    o  the name of or a reference to the registrar for the domain, if one
       exists

    The domain information set MUST be able to express and represent the
    attributes and allowable values of domain registration requests in
    domain registration and provisioning protocols.