Subject: [Ietf-not43] comments on requirements

From: anewton at ecotroph.net (Andrew Newton)
Date: Mon Apr 28 15:23:37 2003

The following are the comments on the requirements mentioned in the minutes.

They were compiled by Cathy Murphy, Tim Christensen, and George 
Michaelson, and have amended by myself per follow-up conversations.

Also note the other changes mentioned in the minutes: 1) the missing 
text that has already appeared on this list, and 2) additional 
descriptive text (which also reflected in this set of comments).

-andy
-------------- next part --------------
Section 1.2 Requirements Scope

Change the following sentence:

|    This scoping
|    specifically targets the requirements of domain name registries
|    (Section 2.1) while acknowledging extensibility needs for possible
|    future support of the requirements for other registry (Section 2.2)
|    types.  

to:

  This scoping specifically targets the requirements of domain name
  registries (Section 2.1).  The requirements for other registry types
  will be made available in other memos.

Section 2.1.1 Domain Registries

Change the following sentence from:

|    Domain registries are responsible for the registration of domains for
|    use with DNS [1] and forward lookups (i.e.  does not include the
|    IN-ADDR.ARPA or IP6.ARPA domains). 

to:

   Domain registries are responsible for the registration of domains for
   use with DNS[1] and forward lookups (i.e. does not include the .ARPA
   domains).

Change the following sentence from:

|    In the "thin" model, contact or social data for the domain
|    are maintained by a domain registrar.

to:

   In the "thin" model, contact data for the domain
   are maintained by a domain registrar.

Section 2.2 Other Registries

Add the following sentence:

  This section describes Internet registries other than those listed in
  section 2.1.  These descriptions are not definitive and this list is
  not absolute.  They are provided in this document for informational
  purposes only.

Section 2.2.5 Network Edge Resource Registries

Remove this section as it isn't clear.

Section 2.4 End Users

Add the following introductory paragraph:

  This section describes the many types of end-users.  Individuals and
  organizations may have multiple roles and may concurrently occupy many
  of the categories.

Section 2.4.5 DNS Users

Change the following sentence:

|    Users of the Internet have client software that resolves domain names
|    to IP addresses.  

to:

  Users of the Internet have client software the resolves domain names
  to IP addresses and IP addresses to domain names.

Section 2.4.6 Domain Registrants

Move this section to the top of end-users to be more consistent.
Relabel the section to "Internet Resource Registrants".

Change the following paragraph so that it includes all types of registrants from:

|    Entities given authority over a domain via purchase, lease, or grant
|    from a domain registry, either directly or via the services of a
|    domain registrar.

to:

  Entities given authority over an Internet resource via purchase, lease,
  or grant from an Internet registry, either directly or via the services
  of a registrar.

Section 3.1 Base Functions

Change the following sentence from:

|    This section describes basic directory service protocol requirements
|    for domain name (Section 2.1) and other (Section 2.2) registries.

to:

  This section describes basic directory service protocol requirements
  for internet registries.

Section 3.1.1 Mining Prevention

Delete the following sentence because it leads to confusion between
requirements basic for internet registries and those specific to
domain registries.

|    Section 3.2.5 also contains protocol requirements which are relevant
|    to client/server interaction in certain domain registry service
|    models.

Section 3.1.13 Relay Bag

Add the following sentence to aid in comprehension:

  The term "bag" in this section describes a flexible container
  which may contain unspecified data.

Appendix A. Glossary

Change the following from:

|    o  social data: Data containing names and contact information (i.e.
|       postal addresses, phone numbers, e-mail addresses) of humans or
|       legal entities.

to:

  contact data:  Data containing names and contact information
  (e.g. postal addresses, phone numbers, e-mail addresses) of humans
  or legal entities.