Subject: [Crisp] An internet infrastructure system designed as IRIS extension and DNS analogue

From: "Carl Taswell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 12:37:29 -0700

Dear Members of the CRISP Working Group:

I have written a paper describing an internet infrastructure system designed
as an IRIS extension and DNS analogue. This paper has been accepted for
publication in IEEE TITB (see below abstract). To download a preprint of the
paper, please visit 

http://www.portaldoors.org/ 

For the fastest read, I recommend looking at the key ideas summarized in the
two figures and two tables. I hope that the CRISP Working Group Members will
entertain some discussion of the ideas presented in the paper and their
relation to current and developing standards for IRIS. You are welcome to
contact me by email or phone directly if you wish.  I look forward to
hearing from you.

Carl Taswell
[email-masked]
Tel: 949-481-3121
Cel: 916-616-4939

***********************************

Title: DOORS to the Semantic Web and Grid with a PORTAL for Biomedical
Computing

Author: Carl Taswell

Abstract: The semantic web remains in the early stages of development. It
has not yet achieved the goals envisioned by its founders as a pervasive web
of distributed knowledge and intelligence. Success will be attained when a
dynamic synergism can be created between people and a sufficient number of
infrastructure systems and tools for the semantic web in analogy with those
for the original web. The domain name system, web browsers, and the benefits
of publishing web pages motivated many people to register domain names and
publish web sites on the original web. An analogous resource label system,
semantic search applications, and the benefits of collaborative semantic
networks will motivate people to register resource labels and publish
resource descriptions on the semantic web. The Domain Ontology Oriented
Resource System (DOORS) and Problem Oriented Registry of Tags And Labels
(PORTAL) are proposed as infrastructure systems for resource metadata within
a paradigm that can serve as a bridge between the original web and the
semantic web. IRIS registers domain names while DNS publishes domain
addresses with mapping of names to addresses for the original web.
Analogously, PORTAL registers resource labels and tags while DOORS publishes
resource locations and descriptions with mapping of labels to locations for
the semantic web. BioPORT is proposed as a prototype PORTAL registry
specific for the problem domain of biomedical computing.

Status: Copyright (c) 2007 IEEE. Personal use of this material is permitted.
Manuscript submitted 31 October 2006, revision submitted 11 June 2007,
accepted 31 July 2007. In press for publication in Special Issue on Bio-Grid
in IEEE Transactions on Information Technology in Biomedicine.

_______________________________________________
Crisp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/crisp