Subject: [Curdle] Protocol Action: 'Using ChaCha20-Poly1305 Authenticated Encryption in the Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS)' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-curdle-cms-chacha20-poly1305-06.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2017 08:08:15 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Using ChaCha20-Poly1305 Authenticated Encryption in the Cryptographic
   Message Syntax (CMS)'
  (draft-ietf-curdle-cms-chacha20-poly1305-06.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the CURves, Deprecating and a Little more
Encryption Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Stephen Farrell and Kathleen Moriarty.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-curdle-cms-chacha20-poly1305/

Technical Summary

   This document describes the conventions for using ChaCha20-Poly1305
   Authenticated Encryption in the Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS).
   ChaCha20-Poly1305 is an authenticated encryption algorithm
   constructed of the ChaCha stream cipher and Poly1305 authenticator.

Working Group Summary

  The draft had no controversy. Reviews revealed minor nits 
  that were corrected. 

Document Quality

  CMS is already deployed, and the draft describes how to use 
  a specific authenticated encryption algorithm which is expected 
  to be used in the future. The purpose of the draft is to keep CMS 
  up to date with security, and thus deployed. Reviews did not 
  end with important changes in the protocol. 
  
Personnel

  The Document Shepherd is Daniel Migault. The irresponsible 
  Area Director is Stephen Farrell.