Subject: [Curdle] Last Call: <draft-ietf-curdle-ssh-dh-group-exchange-04.txt> (Increase SSH minimum recommended DH modulus size to 2048 bits) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2017 02:09:21 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the CURves, Deprecating and a Little
more Encryption WG (curdle) to consider the following document: - 'Increase
SSH minimum recommended DH modulus size to 2048 bits'
  <draft-ietf-curdle-ssh-dh-group-exchange-04.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2017-07-30. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning of
the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   The Diffie-Hellman (DH) Group Exchange for the Secure Shell (SSH)
   Transport layer Protocol specifies that servers and clients should
   support groups with a modulus length of k bits, where the recommended
   minumum value is 1024 bits.  Recent security research has shown that
   a minimum value of 1024 bits is insufficient against state-sponsored
   actors.  As such, this document formally updates the specification
   such that the minimum recommended value for k is 2048 bits and the
   group size is 2048 bits at minimum.  This RFC updates RFC4419 which
   allowed for DH moduli less than 2048 bits.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-curdle-ssh-dh-group-exchange/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-curdle-ssh-dh-group-exchange/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.