Subject: [dane] New version of tls-dnssec-chain draft (-02)

From: Shumon Huque <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2015 08:34:40 +0900

DANE folks,

We've recently updated the "TLS extension for DANE and DNSSEC
authentication chain" draft:

   https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-shore-tls-dnssec-chain-extension-02

This work is proposed to happen in TLS, but we hope to get plenty
of feedback from DNS/DANE folks. Here's a quick summary of the major
changes in -02:

* Updated reference newly published DANE RFCs

* An update to the chain data format. It now uses native DNS wire
  format resource records with no TLS presentation language wrapping.
  This makes it easier for implementations to work with existing
  DNS libraries to produce and consume the data. But we still describe
  the data format in sufficient detail that implementers not using DNS
  libraries can work with it.

* Description of how CNAME and DNAMEs are accommodated

* Reference to use of the X.509v3 TLS Feature Extension to mandate
  use of the extension by a server certificate.

* Reference to the EDNS chain query option draft as a future easy
  way to obtain/produce the chain data.

* Removed discussion of possible client caching of chain data
  components (could be difficult to get right and/or a premature
  optimization).

--
Shumon Huque