Subject: [dane] Summary of second WGLC for dane-smime

From: Olafur Gudmundsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2016 15:17:19 -0500

The WGLC has concluded. The chairs thank the wg contributers that took
the time to review the document.

The chairs see a strong consensus for advancing the document (after
some minor changes).

The changes needed in the document are:
Ed Lewis: requested a link to a reference for "rainbow table"

Paul Wouters: pointed out few minor textual issues ==>fix

Matt Miller: pointed out contractiction in Security consideratins ==> fix

Once these changes have been made, the new version will be advanced to
the IESG.

Thanks to all who participated

Olafur & Warren

---

From: "Paul Hoffman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2016 15:52:15 -0800

> Ed Lewis: requested a link to a reference for "rainbow table"

Unfortunately, I could find no good reference other than "see 
Wikipedia". The one earlier RFC that talked about rainbow tables had no 
reference for them.

> Paul Wouters: pointed out few minor textual issues ==>fix

Fixed.

> Matt Miller: pointed out contractiction in Security consideratins ==> 

Fixed.

> Once these changes have been made, the new version will be advanced to

Thanks!

> Thanks to all who participated

Ditto!

---

From: Edward Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2016 12:59:43 +0000

Sent from aomething with no kybosrd. 

> On Nov 29, 2016, at 18:52, Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Unfortunately, I could find no good reference other than "see Wikipedia". The one earlier RFC that talked about rainbow tables had no reference for them.

There's a reference given in that Wikipedia document. I'd paste it here but I'm on bus using a phone. ;). That referenced paper should be mentioned.

---

From: Paul Wouters <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2016 09:22:32 -0500 (EST)

>>  Paul Wouters: pointed out few minor textual issues ==>fix

https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-dane-smime-13

 	Couldn't retrieve file 2 (http://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-ietf-dane-smime-13.txt) - please check the URL..

Seems like the diff tools are borken?

Paul

---

From: Allison Mankin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2016 09:33:32 -0500

I think this reference might work as an early archival discussion of
rainbow tables for efficient hash breaking:

www.iacr.org/cryptodb/archive/2003/CRYPTO/1615/1615.ps

By P. Oechslin

On 30 November 2016 at 07:59, Edward Lewis <[email-masked]> wrote:

> There's a reference given in that Wikipedia document. I'd paste it here
> but I'm on bus using a phone. ;). That referenced paper should be mentioned.
>
> _______________________________________________
> dane mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dane
>

---

From: "Paul Hoffman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2016 08:57:26 -0800

> www.iacr.org/cryptodb/archive/2003/CRYPTO/1615/1615.ps

Thanks, this looks fine. We have updated the draft.

--Paul Hoffman

---

From: Warren Kumari <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2016 13:13:42 -0500

> Thanks, this looks fine. We have updated the draft.

Thank you Paul, and everyone else for finding refernces, etc.

W

-- 
I don't think the execution is relevant when it was obviously a bad
idea in the first place.
This is like putting rabid weasels in your pants, and later expressing
regret at having chosen those particular rabid weasels and that pair
of pants.
   ---maf

---

From: Paul Wouters <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2016 21:21:50 -0500 (EST)

> Thanks, this looks fine. We have updated the draft.

The latest version addresses the issues I had raised. Thanks!

Paul