Subject: [Dart] I-D Action: draft-ietf-dart-dscp-rtp-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 12:07:38 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the DiffServ Applied to Real-time Transports Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : Differentiated Services (DiffServ) and Real-time Communication
        Authors         : David Black
                          Paul Jones
	Filename        : draft-ietf-dart-dscp-rtp-00.txt
	Pages           : 23
	Date            : 2014-07-31

Abstract:
   This document describes the interaction between Differentiated
   Services (DiffServ) network quality of service (QoS) functionality
   and real-time network communication, including communication based on
   the Real-time Transport Protocol (RTP).  DiffServ is based on network
   nodes applying different forwarding treatments to packets whose IP
   headers are marked with different DiffServ Code Points (DSCPs).  As a
   result, use of different DSCPs within a single traffic stream may
   cause transport protocol interactions (e.g., reordering).  In
   addition, DSCP markings may be changed or removed between the traffic
   source and destination.  This document covers the implications of
   these DiffServ aspects for real-time network communication, including
   RTCWEB.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dart-dscp-rtp/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dart-dscp-rtp-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: "Black, David" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 16:50:10 -0400

As promised, here's the -00 dart WG draft.  I think I incorporated almost
everything that was discussed in the meeting, but I've surely missed a
few things - please comment (on list, or send me editorial changes directly).

I want to call attention to this Editor's Note on draft organization:

   [Editor's Note: Current section structure skips around topics
   somewhat.  The editor suggests restructuring to put real-time/RTP
   material first (new section 2, consisting of current sections 2, 2.1
   and 3), then DiffServ Background (new section 3, consisting of
   current sections 2.2, 2.3, 2.6 and 2.7, followed by discussion of
   interactions (new section 4, consisting of current sections 2.4, 2.5
   and 5) and guidelines (current section 4, renumbered to new section
   5).]

If this change is made, I will submit a version that only contains the
text rearrangement before making any other changes.  The "game plan" that
I've discussed w/Ben (WG chair) is to revise the draft over about the next
week with the resulting version going to WG Last Call, so reading this
draft sooner rather than later might be a good idea.

Thanks,
--David

> -----Original Message-----
> From: I-D-Announce [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
> [email-masked]
> Sent: Thursday, July 31, 2014 3:08 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-dart-dscp-rtp-00.txt
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> I-D-Announce mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
> Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
> or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt