Subject: [dcp] spec updates, terminology

From: Eddie Kohler <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 14:30:47 -0700

Hi all,

Thought we'd keep you all up to date on some recent changes to DCCP. Many
of these changes were brought up on the mailing list; thanks!

* We've added a pseudoheader to the DCCP checksum calculation.

* We're ironing out the "sequence number validity" issue (Section 4.3). A
  new Loss Window feature defines a loss window width; a new Connection
  Nonce feature, and associated options, facilitate getting back into sync
  after long bursts of loss.

* The DCCP-Move packet format has changed. The Old Address can take other
  forms than an IPv4 address, and the Mobility Nonce was removed, in favor
  of a connection-nonce option.

* A new Slow Receiver option lets a receiver tell a sender that it is
  having trouble keeping up.

* We've fleshed out the section on acks-of-acks, hopefully reducing
  confusion.

And now, a question. We're starting to dislike the names of the feature
negotiation options (Ask, Choose, and Answer). Any suggestions? Our current
top choice is Change (for Ask), Prefer (for Choose), and Done (for Answer).

We will probably release a new draft within a week or so.

Eddie

_______________________________________________
dcp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dcp

---

From: "Patrick R. McManus" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 11:32:10 -0400

[Eddie Kohler: Tue, May 21, 2002 at 02:30:47PM -0700]
>   after long bursts of loss.

this is good news, my implementation more or less punts on this one
(it uses a fixed window which it just drops packets that are outside
of) on the assumption that a better definition would come along ;)

> top choice is Change (for Ask), Prefer (for Choose), and Done (for Answer).

My notes have referred to them as: assign/set, menu, confirmed.