Subject: [Detnet] Spencer Dawkins' No Objection on draft-ietf-detnet-use-cases-19: (with COMMENT)

From: Spencer Dawkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2018 05:50:30 -0700

Spencer Dawkins has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-detnet-use-cases-19: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-detnet-use-cases/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Most of my comments have appeared in other AD's ballot positions, which is
always handy when I ballot an hour and a half before a telechat, but when I
noticed that Section 6 (almost in its entirety) and Section 10.3 are describing
3GPP environments, and I hadn't seen any traffic on the 3gpp-ietf-coordination
mailing list about this draft, I checked last night with Georg Meyer, the 3GPP
liaison to IETF, and he said he remembered discussions about this draft in SA2,
but wasn't remembering recent discussions.

He's in a meeting this week, and said he would check the draft next week. I
don't think there's any reason for me to expect a problem, but given that Georg
had been quite clear in previous discussions on Netslicing that 3GPP didn't
have requirements for the IETF yet, it seemed helpful to make sure that 3GPP
agrees with what's being said about 3GPP networks in IETF documents.

I'm actually fine publishing this draft in archival form, because if there are
SDOs that AREN'T worried about any of these use cases, I sure can't think of
them, so I'd expect that this would be useful in coordinating with other SDOs,
and more broadly with implementers and operators who don't participate in the
IETF, and I'm not Deferring or Discussing, because I'm sure the right thing
will happen, whether the draft is approved today or not.

But I thought I should ask now, rather than 5 minutes after the RFC is
announced :-)