Subject: [Detnet] Proposed Revised DetNet Charter

From: Lou Berger <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2020 12:23:13 -0400

Deborah,

     The WG has reviewed the enclosed proposed charter revision. I 
believe the next step in the process belongs to you and IESG. (Deltas 
can be seen at https://etherpad.ietf.org:9009/p/detnet-recharter)

Thank you for your help in progressing this change!

DetNet WG Chairs (for the WG)

Proposed Revised DetNet Charter                    March 19, 2020 Revision

The Deterministic Networking (DetNet) Working Group focuses on
deterministic data paths that operate over Layer 2 bridged and Layer 3
routed segments, where such paths can provide bounds on latency, loss,
and packet delay variation (jitter), and high reliability. The Working
Group addresses Layer 3 aspects in support of applications requiring
deterministic networking. The Working Group collaborates with the IEEE
802.1 Time-Sensitive Networking (TSN) Task Group, which is responsible
for Layer 2 operations, to ensure an aligned architecture for both Layer
2 and Layer 3. Example applications for deterministic networks include
professional and home audio/video, multimedia in transportation, engine
control systems, and industrial automation, as well as other general
industrial and vehicular applications being considered by the IEEE 802.1
TSN Task Group.

The Working Group will initially focus on solutions for networks that
are under a single administrative control or within a closed group of
administrative control; these include not only campus-wide networks but
also can include private WANs. The DetNet WG will not address solutions
for large groups of domains such as the Internet.

The Working Group is responsible for the overall DetNet architecture and
DetNet-specific specifications that encompasses the data plane, OAM
(Operations, Administration, and Maintenance), time synchronization,
management, control, and security aspects which are required to enable a
multi-hop path, and forwarding along the path, with the deterministic
properties of controlled latency, low packet loss, low packet delay
variation, and high reliability. The work applies to point-to-point
(unicast) and point-to-multipoint (multicast) flows which can be
characterized in a manner that allows the network to 1) reserve the
appropriate resources for the flows in advance, and 2) release/reuse the
resources when they are no longer required. The work covers the
characterization of flows, the encapsulation of frames, the required
forwarding behaviors, as well as the state that may need to be
established in intermediate nodes. Layer 3 data plane technologies that
can be used include: IP and MPLS, and Layer 2 encapsulations that run
over IP and/or MPLS, such as pseudowires and GRE.

The Working Group will document which deployment environments and types
of topologies are within (or outside) the scope of the DetNet
architecture. This work focuses on the data plane aspects and is
independent from any path setup protocol or mechanism. The working group
will also document DetNet Controller Plane [1] approaches that reuse
existing IETF solutions, such as Path Computation Element (PCE), and
identify the appropriate Working Group for any extensions needed to
support DetNet. Documents produced by the Working Group will be
compatible with the work done in IEEE802.1 TSN and other IETF Working
Groups.  The Working Group's scope explicitly excludes modifications of
transport protocols, OAM, Layer 3 forwarding, encapsulations, and
control plane protocols, but it may define requirements for such
modifications and identify the appropriate Working Group for any needed
modifications.

DetNet is chartered to work in the following areas:

     Overall architecture: This work encompasses the data plane, OAM,
     time synchronization, management, control, and security aspects.

     Data plane: This work will document how to use IP and/or MPLS, and
     related OAM, to support a data plane method of flow identification
     and packet forwarding over Layer 3. Other IETF defined data plane
     technologies may also be used.

     Controller Plane: This work will document how to use IETF control
     plane solutions to support DetNet. This work includes identification
     of any gaps in existing solutions and identifying the appropriate
     Working Group for any needed extensions.

     Data flow information model: This work will identify the information
     needed for flow establishment and control and be used by reservation
     protocols and YANG data models. The work will be independent from
     the protocol(s) used to control the flows
     (e.g. YANG+NETCONF/RESTCONF, PCEP or GMPLS).

     YANG models: This work will document device and link capabilities
     (feature support) and resources (e.g. buffers, bandwidth) for use in
     device configuration and status reporting. Such information may also
     be used when advertising the deterministic network elements to a
     control plane. Control plane related information will be independent
     from the protocol(s) which may be used to advertise this information
     (e.g. IS-IS or GMPLS extensions). Any new YANG models will be
     coordinated with the Working Groups that define any base models that
     are to be augmented.

     As needed, vertical requirements: This effort will detail the
     requirements for deterministic networks in various industries that
     have previously not been documented or cannot be supported using
     defined DetNet solutions.

     To investigate whether existing data plane encryption mechanisms can
     be applied, possibly opportunistically, to improve security and
     privacy.

The Working Group coordinates with other relevant IETF Working Groups,
including CCAMP, PCE, PALS, TEAS, OSPF, IS-IS, TSVWG, RAW, and
6TiSCH. As the work progresses, requirements may be provided to the
responsible Working Group, e.g. PCE, TEAS, and CCAMP, with DetNet acting
as a focal point to maintain the consistency of the overall architecture
and related solutions. The WG will liaise with appropriate groups in
IEEE and other Standards Development Organizations (SDOs).

[1] The DetNet Controller Plane is defined in RFC 8655 as "the
aggregation of the Control and Management Planes"