Subject: draft-privat-dhc-doublephase-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 12:09:51 -0400 (EDT)

I have submitted a new version of draft-privat-dhc-doublephase
to the internet drafts directory. You can find it at:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-privat-dhc-doublephase-01.txt

The draft allows host configuration to be split between two
different DHCP servers, potentially under different administration.

I have added an example of use (section 6) to clarify the intention
of the draft (see text below).

I am interested in feedback from the working group.

Thanks,
Jerome
BT Advanced Communications Engineering
************************************************************************
6. Example of use

Let us consider a scenario in which residential costumers connect
to Internet Service Providers through a Network Provider (using any
kind of access technologies: cable, ADSL, ...). A possible scenario
would be as follows:
- The User chooses the ISP it wants to connect to using the User
Class option [4].
- Based on the User Class option, the Network Provider DHCP server
(Server_1) allocates an address from the corresponding ISP address
pool. It then proxies or redirect the request to the DHCP server
of the chosen Internet Service Provider (Server_2).
- The DHCP server of the Internet Service Provider (Server_2)
allocates the rest of the configuration.