Subject: DHCP and LDAP

From: [email-masked] (by way of Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>)
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 12:55:06 -0400 (EDT)

message sent to [email-masked] by [email-masked] follows.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Had a general question, 
can someone provide me pointers to drafts that relate DHCP to LDAP.

Basically if a client device needs a dynamic IP address for lease and an IP
address 
of a particular service provider, can the requests be combined into one ( a
single DHCP
transaction?

-raja neogi
Intel

---

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 13:45:46 -0400 (EDT)

Check out
http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-schema-00.txt for the
latest DHCP server schema draft.

To answer your second question, the DHCP client needs some way to encode
the specific ISP for which it is trying to obtain an address.  At present,
there is no "ISP selection option", so the DHCP server has to have some
other (as yet undefined) way to pick an ISP and an address from that ISP
space for the client.

- Ralph Droms

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 05:26:10 -0400 (EDT)

> other (as yet undefined) way to pick an ISP and an address from that ISP
	Actually a DHCP client could use the User Class option to select the
ISP
	from which it is trying to get an address. The DHCP server would
maintain
	different address pools for each ISP and would allocate addresses
based
	on the User Class option present in the request.  

	Jerome Privat

---

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 08:02:52 -0400 (EDT)

>	Actually a DHCP client could use the User Class option to select the ISP
>	from which it is trying to get an address. The DHCP server would maintain
>	different address pools for each ISP and would allocate addresses based

Yes - the user class option provides a way in which the client can ask for
an address from a specific ISP - but the user class option hasn't been
accepted as a standard option (yet!).  It might be that the ISP-selection
problem is general enough to warrant consideration of a new option...

- RAlph

---

From: "Ann Demirtjis (Exchange)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 23:34:06 -0400 (EDT)

I always assumed that in this scenario (ie for ISP selection), each ISP
would have its own DHCP server rather than one centrally managed DHCP server
and one or more scopes for each ISP.

Is this targeted at the DSL/Cable broadband world? What is/are the
deployment scenario(s) for this feature?

Ann

-----Original Message-----
From: Ralph Droms [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Saturday, September 25, 1999 5:03 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: RE: DHCP and LDAP

ISP
maintain
based

- RAlph