Subject: [dhcwg] dhcpv6-24: compression in DNS names

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 12:59:47 -0400

[Note: the IESG is starting to review this document, and I'm getting
questions comments on the ID].

This document specifies that DNS Names are represented in DNS
on-the-wire formate, and compression MUST be supported. I understand
that DHCPv4 supports this now (with recent options).

But there is also complexity associated with the compression part. In
DHCPv4, options were limited in size (255 bytes). DHCPv6 doesn't have
this restriction. So the need for compression is reduced.

How about just removing the requirement to support compression. This
will simplify implementations and doesn't appear to result in any real
loss of functionality.

Thomas

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 12:32:16 -0500

> will simplify implementations and doesn't appear to result in any real

Works for me.   In the cases where we're using domain names, it's unlikely 
we'd be able to compress more than the last label anyway, so we're only 
talking about three bytes of compression (e.g., with .com).