Subject: [dhcwg] dhcpv6-24: comparing client parameters and server state

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 May 2002 11:07:22 -0400

> 18.2.2. Receipt of Confirm messages
> 
>    When the server receives a Confirm message, the client is requesting
>    confirmation that the configuration information it will use is valid.
>    The server locates the binding for that client and compares the
>    information in the Confirm message from the client to the information
>    associated with that client.

Couple of thoughts. The document doesn't really define "compare". Do
the Lifetimes have to be equal? I would assume not, but this is not
stated... 

Also, does the Confirm include *only* IAs that were assigned by that
server? If not, seems like confirm will fail (i.e, if a client has IAs
from different servers). Is the text clear on this? (I don't bthink
the text says only include IAs allocated from the server to which the
confirm is being sent.)

Some clarifying text would seem to be needed here.

Thomas

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 May 2002 19:19:33 -0400

>the Lifetimes have to be equal? I would assume not, but this is not

OK - the clarification should, I think, be that the server compares the
addresses only and ignores the lease expiration time.

>Some clarifying text would seem to be needed here.

The Confirm message is multicast and received by potentially more
than one server.  I think each server only checks the IAs that it
(the server) has a record of.