Subject: [dhcwg] CLEANING UP DHCP RESERVATIONS

From: Hawkes Larry <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 16:32:40 -0500

We have been using Microsoft DHCP Manager 4.0 and over time have made a
number of reservations for servers and printers. Is there any easy way to
determine if a reservation is still being used? I know when a device first
uses a reserved address from DHCP, DHCP marks the reservation "in use". But
if that IP address is no longer used because the device went away for what
ever reason, how can we determine that the reserved IP address is no longer
in use? DHCP never removes the "in use" label after the initial request from
a client to lease that IP address.
It would be nice to have DHCP take the "in use" label away if the device
lets the lease expire, because the client still follows the lease setup for
the scope even though it is using an reserved IP address. Or, be able to
specify a individual lease time for a reservation. For example if a
reservation is set up with a lease of three months, and three months go by
with out the lease being renewed, then the reservation is automatically
removed. Third might be if the reservation could keep a time stamp of the
last time the lease was renewed. It would then be easier to determine if you
might want to delete the reservation if it had an old date.

 Thanks, Larry Hawkes 801-620-7332  <mailto:[email-masked]>
[email-masked]

Fly R/C Airplanes