Subject: [dhcwg] proxy host name removal

From: Carl Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 12:57:20 -0800

One of the items that needs clarification for the Host Options
Considerations draft is the removal of host name <-> IP address updates.
Specifically, is there a way for a client to ask a DHCP server to remove
an update without giving up its lease?  Two suggestions were made at the
Minneapolis meeting:  either the client should send a zero-length host
name or a new bit in the FQDN option flags field could be allocated to
convey the request.
	There was no concensus at the WG meeting on the need for such a
facility, so I'm polling the mailing list to see whether it's felt we
should pursue this further.  Personally, I believe that if a way of doing
it is to be offered, we should not change the way the Host Name option
is used but instead use the FQDN option to express the request.

			Carl
_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: "Bernie Volz (EUD)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 16:44:40 -0600

Carl:

Haven't yet looked at your revised draft, but is there a use case
where this would be desired? And, is it really removal of the
information after a period of time (but before the address is
released) that is desired or not having it entered in the first
place?

I don't see a case where this would be needed at present, but
perhaps someone will present a good case?

I do agree with you that using the FQDN option is the best way to
go. Especially considering that if the client needs to renew
after it has requested the removal of the DNS information, it
would want to make sure that the information isn't added again
on a subsequent renewal.

Perhaps we could consider two bits in the FQDN flags fields? But
this may be overkill?
	No A desired (remove A)
	No RR desired (remove RR)
We'd also need to define how these interact with the "N" bit
and whether we could even consider using that bit in a new way?

- Bernie

-----Original Message-----
From: Carl Smith [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, November 07, 2002 3:57 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [dhcwg] proxy host name removal

			Carl