Subject: [dhcwg] Status of DHCPv6 specification

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2002 07:06:51 -0500

Earlier this year, the DHCPv6 spec (draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-26.txt) was reviewed
by the IESG.  Based on feedback from that review, we (the DHCPv6 authors) 
published
draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-27.txt.  The majority of the changes were related to 
authentication.  I've included a summary of the changes in the -27 rev of 
the specification below.

draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-27.txt is now under review by the IESG.

- Ralph

     -  Use of Reconfigure Key message is a new protocol in DHCP
        authentication

     -  Added "DHCP Realm" to authentication to disambiguate
        keys from different administrative domains

     -  Renamed IA to IA_NA throughout; now IA refers collectively to
        IA_NA and IA_TA

     -  Reconfigure Accept option allows client to tell server if it
        will do Reconfigure and allows server to control whether client
        accepts Reconfigure

     -  Add desynchronizing randomization for Confirm and
        Information-request messages

     -  Added requirement for Client Identifier option if
        Information-request message is to be authenticated

     -  Deleted restriction against more than one Vendor-specific
        Information option with same enterprise number

     -  Added text in section 15 requiring that a server discards
        messages received via unicast such as Solicit that must be sent
        via multicast, to ensure relay agents can add relay agent
        options when needed

     -  Eliminated use of "message code" in section 5

     -  Eliminated "AddrUnavail" and "ConfNoMatch" status codes because
        they are no longer used

     -  Edited to use "IA" for a non-differentiated IA; "IA_NA" and
        "IA_TA" for specific types of addresses.

     -  Deleted AuthFailed status code; spec requires that receiver
        discard messages that fail authentication with no response to the
        sender

     -  DUID now limited to 128 bytes (was 256)

     -  Reconfigure message includes IA option to specifically identify
        IAs that are to be modified.

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg