Subject: [dhcwg] DHCP question

From: "Dean, David A" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 14:28:46 -0400

Hi,

I hope this is the appropriate venue for this question, if not, please
accept my apologies and please recommend a venue that is appropriate.  Here
is my question; I need to assign multiple IP addresses (at least two) to a
common network interface having one physical MAC address; can this be
accomplished using DHCP?  If so, how would DHCP handle this?  The multiple
IP addresses would be in the same logical subnet.  

Thanks.

David A.Dean

Unisys
2476 Swedesford Rd
Malvern, Pa  19355
EMail: [email-masked]

Notice: The information contained in this message may be privileged,
confidential, and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message
is not the intended recipient , you are hereby notified that any
dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify
me immediately by replying to this message, and then delete it from your
computer.

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 14:00:09 -0500

Just do two seperate dhcp client state machines that each send 
different DHCP client identifiers.   A conforming DHCP server will 
treat them as separate devices and assign each one a separate address.  
  You may run into trouble if you try to deploy your DHCP client in an 
environment where only one IP address is available for it, though 
(e.g., in a cable modem or DSL environment).