Subject: RE: [dhcwg] DHCPv6 server and usage of link-local address of DHCPv6 client

From: "Barany, Pete" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 10:56:42 -0700

Thanks for the reply. I suspected as much. When a Relay Agent is used
the link-address field can be used to glean the prefix. I then assume
that the DHCPv6 can only assign /64 prefixes (without delving into the
IPv6 architecture for global unicast addresses with 001 prefix where n+m
= 64, see RFC 3513). In other words, the DHCPv6 server could not assign
a /70 if it wanted to?

Regards,

Pete

-----Original Message-----
From: Bernie Volz [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, October 17, 2003 10:53 AM
To: Barany, Pete; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [dhcwg] DHCPv6 server and usage of link-local address of
DHCPv6 client

How the DHCPv6 server generates the addresses it gives to clients is not
addressed in the specification and is up to the DHCPv6 server.
Sequentially,
random, etc can all be used (sequential probably isn't good as it is
easy to
guess?). Note that the server is not specifically given the 64-bit
interface
ID so it likely can not use that method. The client identifier may have
information that could be used to construct the 64-bit interface ID but
that
may not be for that interface (remember, a client can have many
interfaces
but has ONE client identifier). The server could pull the information
from
the source address (or relayed information), but that's not recommended
either.

- Bernie

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Barany, Pete
Sent: Friday, October 17, 2003 11:40 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [dhcwg] DHCPv6 server and usage of link-local address of DHCPv6
client

Hi,

Question:

When a DHCPv6 server receives a request for an IA (specifically, a
non-temporary IA or IA_NA) is there a default procedure in RFC 3315 such
that the DHCPv6 will use the 64-bit Interface ID from the link-local
address found in either the:

(1) source address field of the SOLICIT message if the DHCPv6 server is
on the same link as the requesting DHCPv6 client; or
(2) peer-address field of the RELY-FORW message if the DHCPv6 server is
on a link different from the requesting DHCPv6 client and consequently a
Relay Agent is used?

to construct the address(es) in response to the IA request?

Regards,

Pete 

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: "Bernie Volz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 14:20:35 -0400

The DHCPv6 server only assigns addresses and not prefixes (though there is
work on doing prefix delegation, see
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-prefix-delegat
ion-05.txt). But, yes the DHCPv6 server could be given a /70 prefix from
which to allocate addresses. Or, other techniques could be used, for
example, if multiple servers are assigning addresses to clients from a
single /64 prefix.

- Bernie

-----Original Message-----
From: Barany, Pete [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, October 17, 2003 1:57 PM
To: Bernie Volz; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [dhcwg] DHCPv6 server and usage of link-local address of DHCPv6
client

Regards,

Pete

-----Original Message-----
From: Bernie Volz [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, October 17, 2003 10:53 AM
To: Barany, Pete; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [dhcwg] DHCPv6 server and usage of link-local address of
DHCPv6 client

- Bernie

-----Original Message-----

Hi,

Question:

Regards,

Pete