Subject: [dhcwg] Proposed Resolution to DNA Issue 9: Use of ARP in Reachability Test

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 16:50:18 -0700 (PDT)

The text of DNA Issue 9 is enclosed below.  The proposed resolution is to
accept the proposed changes.  A new version of the spec including the
resolutions to Issues 8 and 9 is available here:

http://www.drizzle.com/~aboba/DNA/draft-ietf-dhc-dna-ipv4-04.txt

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Issue 9: Use of ARP in Reachability Test
Submitter name: Ralph Droms
Submitter email address: [email-masked]
Date first submitted: 10/16/2003
Reference:
Document: DNA-03
Comment type: T
Priority: S
Section: 2 Packet Format
Rationale/Explanation of issue:

In the fourth paragraph of section 2, the host performing the reachability
test is instructed to look in the ARP response for the default gateway's
MAC address and IPv4 address in ar$tha and ar$tpa, respectively. However,
according to section "Packet Reception" of RFC 826, the default gateway
(the target of the ARP probe) will return its MAC address and IPv4 address
in ar$sha and ar$spa.

There is also a minor editorial nit - the text in the first three
paragraphs of section 2.2 doesn't explicitly describe what value should be
used for ar$tha (should be 0) in the ARP probe message.

Requested change: Change ar$tha and ar$tpa to ar$sha and ar$tha,
respectively, in the fourth paragraph of section 2.2

Add the following sentence to the end of the first paragraph in section
2.2:

"The host sets the target hardware address field (ar$tha) to 0."

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg