Subject: [dhcwg] DNAv4 issue 9: Use of ARP in reachability test

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 13:43:50 -0400

Description of issue
Submitter name: Ralph Droms
Submitter email address: [email-masked]
Date first submitted: 10/16/2003
Reference:
Document: DNA-03
Comment type: T
Priority: S
Section: 2 Packet Format
Rationale/Explanation of issue: In the fourth paragraph of section 2, the
host performing the reachability test is instructed to look in the ARP
response for the default gateway's MAC address and IPv4 address in ar$tha
and ar$tpa, respectively.  However, according to section "Packet Reception"
of RFC 826, the default gateway (the target of the ARP probe) will return
its MAC address and IPv4 address in ar$sha and ar$spa.

There is also a minor editorial nit - the text in the first three paragraphs
of section 2.2 doesn't explicitly describe what value should be used for
ar$tha (should be 0) in the ARP probe message.

Requested change: Change ar$tha and ar$tpa to ar$sha and ar$tha,
respectively, in the fourth paragraph of section 2.2

Add the following sentence to the end of the first paragraph in section 2.2:

    The host sets the target hardware address field (ar$tha) to 0.

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg