Subject: DHCP Win95 problem - can't move server

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 21:03:54 -0500 (EST)

message sent to [email-masked] by [email-masked] follows.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

I have a strange behavior of the WIN95 DHCP client. We have two DHCP servers
running in one subnet with
non overlapping IP ranges. The clients are win95 based, the server is AIX. Now
I tried to
move one of the DHCP servers to another machine (different server IP address).
What
happens is that the client recognises that the server has gone (lease time
out). Then it
sends a DHCPREQUEST asking for his old address. Both servers are not willing to
give
that address, one is not allowed, the other one can't because it has allready
giveb that
address to another client. So there is no offer and the client is not sending a
DHCPDISCOVER after this!
If I move the client to another subnet, everything works fine with a DHCP
server for that
network.
It seems that the client keeps track of all addresses it gets, looks if it
comes back to a
known subnet. In this case it will ask for the address it got last time and
will give up if it
will not get it --- stupid!
>From some other sources I believe that this problem might go away with IP
>stack
V.2,
but that is no solution for me, I've got too many clients out there.
I am quite shure that it can be solved by editing the registry but I do not
know what to
change.

Has anybody an Idea out there?

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best Regards
Dirk Stueven
IBM Forum Central Region and IBM Industry Solutions Lab EMEA
Tel: +49 711 785 4456, Fax: +49 711 785 4560
Dirk Stueven/Germany/IBM, ibmde(dstueven), ibmmail(deibm2k6), ds
[email-masked]