Subject: Protocol Action: DHCP Option for User Authentication Protocol

From: [email-masked] (by way of Ralph Droms)
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 09:23:17 -0500 (EST)

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'DHCP Option for User
Authentication Protocol' <draft-ietf-dhc-options-uap-02.txt> as a
Proposed Standard.  This document is the product of the Dynamic Host
Configuration Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are Jeffrey
Burgan and Thomas Narten.

Technical Summary

The Open Group Network Computing Client Technical Standard, a product
of The Open Group's Network Computing Working Group (NCWG), defines a
network computing client user authentication facility named the User
Authentication Protocol (UAP). In order to use the protocol, a UAP
client needs to obtain the IP address and port of the UAP service.
Additional path information may be required, depending on the
implementation of the service.  A URL is an excellent mechanism for
encapsulation of this information since many UAP servers are
implemented as components within legacy HTTP/SSL servers.

This option specifies a list of URLs, each pointing to a user
authentication service that is capable of processing authentication
requests encapsulated in the User Authentication Protocol (UAP).

Working Group Summary

There was strong support within the WG for this option. One objection
was raised during the IETF Last Call with regard to the suitability of
using UAP itself. However, this option is intended for use by those
sites already using (or planning to use) UAP. Also, the WG feels
strongly that it is appropriate to define Standards Track DHCP options
for accessing services that have not themselves been blessed as IETF
Standards.

Protocol Quality

This specification has been reviewed for the IESG by Thomas Narten.

Note to RFC Editor:

Please change the title to read:

	DHCP Options for the Open Group's User Authentication Protocol