Subject: ILMI-Based Server Discovery

From: Tim Salo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 1998 13:00:21 -0500 (EST)

I have a few general questions about the ILMI-Based Server Discovery
drafts.  Perhaps, the answers are obvious to some, but...

o	The ATMARP draft states "...it is impossible to implement
	a diskless host [that has only an ATM interface] to use ATMARP
	since local configuration is required [namely, the ATM address of
	the ATMARP server and perhaps its LIS address and subnet mask].

	How will a diskless host (with only an ATM interface) configure
	its IP address?

o	What role ought DHCP have in ATM networks?  If DHCP works
	in ATM networks, shouldn't hosts use DHCP to retrieve their
	configuration parameters, including ATMARP, MARS and NHRP
	server addresses?

o	Note the rather odd interaction between ATMARP and ATMDHCP...

-tjs  

	Title		: ILMI-Based Server Discovery for ATMARP
	Filename	: draft-ietf-ion-discov-atmarp-02.txt
	
	Title		: ILMI-Based Server Discovery for MARS
	Filename	: draft-ietf-ion-discov-mars-02.txt
	
	Title		: ILMI-Based Server Discovery for NHRP
	Filename	: draft-ietf-ion-discov-nhrp-02.txt