Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-dhc-agent-options-05.txt (fwd)

From: "Ralph E. Droms" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 14:51:04 -0500 (EST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Dynamic Host Configuration Working Group 
of the IETF.

	Title		: DHCP Relay Agent Information Option
	Author(s)	: M. Patrick
	Filename	: draft-ietf-dhc-agent-options-05.txt
	Pages		: 14
	Date		: 16-Nov-98
	
   Newer high-speed public Internet access technologies call for a
   high-speed modem to have a LAN attachment to one or more customer
   premise hosts.  It is advantageous to use the Dynamic Host
   Configuration Protocol as defined in RFC 2131 [1] to assign customer
   premise host IP addresses in this environment. However, a number of
   security and scaling problems arise with such 'public' DHCP use.
   This document describes a new DHCP option to address these issues.
   This option extends the set of DHCP options as defined in RFC 2132
   [2].
 
   The new option is called the Relay Agent Information option and is
   inserted by the DHCP relay agent when forwarding client-originated
   DHCP packets to a DHCP server.  Servers recognizing the Relay Agent
   Information option may use the information to implement IP address or
   other parameter assignment policies. The DHCP Server echoes the
   option back verbatim to the relay agent in server-to-client replies,
   and the relay agent strips the option before forwarding the reply to
   the client.
 
   The 'Relay Agent Information' option is organized as a single DHCP
   option that contains one or more 'sub-options' that convey
   information known by the relay agent.  The initial sub-options are
   defined for a relay agent that is co-located in a public circuit
   access unit.  These include a 'circuit ID' for the incoming circuit,
   a 'remote ID' which provides a trusted identifier for the remote
   high-speed modem, and the 'subnet mask' of the logical IP subnet from
   which the relay agent received the client DHCP packet.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-dhc-agent-options-05.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-agent-options-05.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nic.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ftp.ietf.org
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-agent-options-05.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.