Subject: Re: What happens when the DHCP Server is down? (fwd)

From: "Paul Roberts" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 04:36:42 -0500 (EST)

>From past experience, I have noticed that Mac's send a DHCPRELEASE when they
shut down. I don't know if this behaviour is changeable but it does mean
that a DHCP server will have to be available the next time they boot,
otherwise they will not get a lease.

I suspect Linux is doing the same, although knowing Linux, this is bound to
be configurable somewhere. Windows machines don't send a DHCPRELEASE by
default when shutdown so they will keep their old lease if no server is
available when rebooted (although there is a registry hack you can do to get
it to release the address if you really want).

Regards,

Paul

+---------------------------------------------+
|    Paul Roberts, Professional Services,     |
|     Internet & Intranet Solutions Ltd.      |
|  Tel: +44 1256 346344 Fax: +44 1256 346355  |
| E-mail: [email-masked] |
|    WWW: http://www.intranet-solutions.com   |
+---------------------------------------------+

-----Original Message-----
From: Ralph E. Droms <[email-masked]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: 09 December 1998 04:39
Subject: Q: What happens when the DHCP Server is down? (fwd)

>message: sent to [email-masked] by [email-masked] follows.
>----------------------------------------------------------------------
>Enlighten my ignorance.............
>Recently, we had our (AIX V4.3) DHCP server down for software
>upgrade.  Since the /, /var, /usr directly were overwritten in the
>process, it took about 2 days to bring the DHCP service back up,
>along with everything else.....
>Now, during the interim, I got reports that Mac and Linux boxes
>couldn't bring IP services, which wasn't what I thought would happen
>at all.  Our lease is 1 month, so I expected that machines that had
>an address would just keep using it....but events seem to prove
>otherwise.  Is it just that the lease maximum length applies to boxes
>that are on continuously, that they release the addrtess when they're
>(properly) shutdown?
>..except of course for Windows machines that never :-) let go.....
>// "I build my cars to go, not to stop", Ettore Bugatti
>// Stewart Dean Kingston, NY
>

---

From: Duane Cathey <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 11:32:54 -0500 (EST)

> Windows machines don't send a DHCPRELEASE by

The WinSock2 DHCP client supports DHCP release on shutdown.
It's available for Win95 on Microsoft's support website:
http://support.microsoft.com/

Look for the 'ws2setup.exe' file.  Read the release notes because
WinSock2 changes many core Windows Sockets apps and libraries.

I believe WinSock2 is standard with Win98.

Duane Cathey
CSSI: Computer Support Services, Inc.
A Technology Company in the PEOPLE Business.
http://www.cssiusa.com
[email-masked]