Subject: Upon DHCPRELEASE, client starts at INIT-REBOOT or INIT state?

From: Greg Padden <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 14:51:21 -0500 (EST)

After reading RFC 2131 it was unclear to me of the behavior of the client
software after the client has issued a DHCPRELEASE?

Will it start at the INIT-REBOOT or the INIT state?

We have been having problems with Apples OpenTransport on OS 8.5

Should the DHCP server clear the cache upon receiving the DHCPRELEASE
message?

---

From: Yoshiki Higashikado <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 22:30:36 -0500 (EST)

From: Greg Padden <[email-masked]>
Subject: Upon DHCPRELEASE, client starts at INIT-REBOOT or INIT state?
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 14:52:19 -0500 (EST)

> Will it start at the INIT-REBOOT or the INIT state?

  When the client send 'DHCPRELEASE' to the server, the client will be at
  INIT state.

  (The client has no IP address to use at INIT-REBOOT state. (It was released.))

> Should the DHCP server clear the cache upon receiving the DHCPRELEASE

  I think, the DHCP server should clear the rease cache for the client.

-------------------
Yoshiki, Higashikado
Fujitsu LTD. Japan