Subject: Re: NAK on RENEW or REBINDING (fwd)

From: "Ralph E. Droms" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 11:29:43 -0500 (EST)

message sent to [email-masked] by [email-masked] follows.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

> 2. I don't think that servers should NAK for renumbering. It seems
>    to me that clients should be allowed to quietly fade away, be
>    and be forced to DISCOVER all over again. It systems admins
>    have configured leases which are too long to sensibly do this
>    then.....get a new system admin.

I think that servers should NAK freely if they know the client should
reconfigure itself, because the sooner it does so, presumably the
sooner it can function correctly.   That is to say, if the information
the client has will not allow it to operate correctly, it should get
new information ASAP.   This will not interrupt network connections
because presumably network connections aren't working.   Whether or
not the server should NAK in this situation should probably just be
tunable, because the sysadmin is probably going to be most qualified
to judge whether NAKing is appropriate.   I tend to agree that
continuously ACKing is the wrong thing to do.

Unfortunately, as Mike says, the server is going to have to continue
to reserve the lease after NAKing until it has some evidence that the
client has stopped using it, or until it has expired.

			       _MelloN_