Subject: Failover Meeting Annoucement

From: Kim Kinnear <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 12:45:38 -0500 (EST)

------ >>>>>> FAILOVER MEETING ANNOUCEMENT!  <<<<<< ----------
--------------- >>>  RESPONSE REQUIRED  <<< -------------------

As I announced in the DHC WG meetings in Orlando, we are planning
to host an interim working meeting on the failover protocol.  We
are modeling this after the rather successful interim
authentication and LDAP schema meetings that have been held during 
the last year.

We are expecting this meeting to last 1.5 days, and be held in
late January or early February 1999 here in Boston (more on this
below).

The goals of the meeting are:

  1.  Promote better understanding of the failover protocol as
  currently defined.

  2.  Review the technical correctness of the failover protocol.
  Revise the protocol as necessary to solve any problems found.

  3.  Understand requirements that are not met or concerns people
  have with the current failover protocol (or draft), and attempt
  to modify the protocol and draft to meet these requirements or
  concerns.

After the meeting, I would expect to produce a new draft in time
for the next IETF.  This draft would be intended to undergo a 
pre-last-call review, with the goal to go to last-call when any
remaining issues were addressed.

Anyone who may be interested in implementing the failover
protocol is strongly urged to attend, and anyone who is seriously
interested in the failover protocol is welcome.  I'm hoping for a
group of 10-15 people who can make substantial progress toward
creating a protocol that solves the problem and that we can all
live with.

------------------

We are thinking of having this meeting on Tuesday and Wednesday,
January 26 and 27, 1999.  The week before or the week after are
also possibilities.   The meeting will be held in or near our
Chelmsford, MA facilities (just northwest of Boston).

If you are interested (or even think you might be interested)
please respond to me *immediately* with:

        Your name:
        Your affiliation:
        Your phone number:
        Roughly how many people you would expect to attend:

        Which week you would prefer:

                Week of Jan 18th
                Week of Jan 25 (current plan) 
                Week of Feb 1

        Any times during the above weeks when you
        absolutely cannot make it:

If you cannot attend during one of these weeks, but are
interested, please let me know that too.

I want to get the schedule for this meeting determined next week 
so that people can make plans and reservations (you know how 
hard it is to get flights to Boston in January...).

Thanks -- Kim

Kim Kinnear
Cisco Systems
300 Apollo Dr.
Chelmsford MA, 01824

(978) 244-8376
[email-masked]