Subject: FYI: Requirements for Unicast Transport/Sessions BOF (ruts)

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 1998 16:28:11 -0500 (EST)

The following BOF may be of interest to folks here, especially those
with an interest in the DHCP server-to-server protocols (were TCP vs
UDP has been an issue).

Requirements for Unicast Transport/Sessions BOF (ruts)

Monday, December 7 at 0930-1130
===============================

Chairs: Vern Paxson <[email-masked]>
        Scott Bradner <[email-masked]>

DESCRIPTION:

A number of IETF efforts have developed or are developing different forms
of reliable (and often "lightweight") transport protocols, because they
perceive that TCP is inadequate for their requirements. This BOF will
explore what those requirements are, serving both as input into a TSV
directorate document discussing the services that can be built on top of
TCP; and to gauge the utility of developing a transport protocol (perhaps
a TCP variant) and/or session protocol that can meet these needs in a
general way.

The focus is on clear-and-present requirements for unicast and reliable
(or "near-reliable") transport/sessions, and not on general transport
protocol features, nor on specific alternative transport protocols (except
as they illustrate requirements).

AGENDA:

Introduction
Requirements underlying:
        COPS
        DIAMETER
        L2TP
        HTTP-NG
        RSVP
        ONCRPC
        NFSv4
Requirements summary
TCP and these requirements
        which can it currently meet
        which can it meet by adding options
        which can it meet by tweaking its model
        which are significantly outside its model