Subject: Q: What happens when the DHCP Server is down? (fwd)

From: "Ralph E. Droms" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 1998 23:41:07 -0500 (EST)

message: sent to [email-masked] by [email-masked] follows.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Enlighten my ignorance.............
Recently, we had our (AIX V4.3) DHCP server down for software 
upgrade.  Since the /, /var, /usr directly were overwritten in the 
process, it took about 2 days to bring the DHCP service back up, 
along with everything else.....
Now, during the interim, I got reports that Mac and Linux boxes 
couldn't bring IP services, which wasn't what I thought would happen 
at all.  Our lease is 1 month, so I expected that machines that had 
an address would just keep using it....but events seem to prove 
otherwise.  Is it just that the lease maximum length applies to boxes 
that are on continuously, that they release the addrtess when they're 
(properly) shutdown?
..except of course for Windows machines that never :-) let go.....
// "I build my cars to go, not to stop", Ettore Bugatti
// Stewart Dean Kingston, NY