Subject: Connectathon 99 DHCPv4 testing

From: Mike Carney - SNT Internet Engineering <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 12:25:05 -0500 (EST)

Hi folks,

What sort of things would you like to test at Connectathon this year?

Typically, we do basic testing, both on a local network and thru
various relay agent implementations, then go on to more complex testing
such as vendor option support, and option overload. (always a blast).

We've added NC testing last year, so remote booting testing of some
devices is done as part of this testing.

Some things I'd like to see:

- DHCP authentication testing (probably prototypes, but hey, that's how we
  move forward).

- User class testing (Not tested in the past, because it's implementation is
  spotty among vendors). Seems like that is changing.

- Intel PXE extended DHCP testing.

Other items?

Mike Carney
SNT Internet Engineering
Sun Microsystems, Inc.

---

From: Nathan Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 16:22:20 -0500 (EST)

I'd like to see some testing of "weird" DHCP devices, such as the ones I
have encountered that accept/send "ambiguous" DHCP/bootp packets.  More
specifically, embedded OS DHCP implementations such as VxWorks and others
that can be found perusing magazines like "Circuit Cellar Ink" and such.

I'd also like to see some testing of router based DHCP servers - those ones
that give out 192.168.1.X addresses and act as proxy servers.  (Bay Networks
RT328, Cisco 800 series, etc...it would seem to me these devices' compliance
is somewhat dubious.)

-Nathan Lane
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
(501) 277-5786

> -----Original Message-----
> From:	Mike Carney - SNT Internet Engineering
> [SMTP:[email-masked]]
> Sent:	Friday, December 18, 1998 11:26 AM
> To:	Multiple recipients of list
> Subject:	Connectathon 99 DHCPv4 testing
> 
> 
> Hi folks,
>

---

From: [email-masked] (by way of Ralph Droms)
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 1998 08:25:09 -0500 (EST)

message sent to [email-masked] by [email-masked] follows.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

It would also be interesting if we could get various hub vendors to
lend us some hubs so that we can see how they interact with DHCP
servers and clients connected to them.   Even better if they're
willing to listen to our complaints afterwards... :')

			       _MelloN_