Subject: doubt in rfc 3011

From: AJAY BANSAL <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 16:24:54 +0530

While studying the rfc 3011 document ( The IPv4 Subnet SelectionOption
for DHCP  document),
   I had some doubts.

   The doubts are:

    1) Is this option only meant for public networks? And where else can

        it be used besides the example given in rfc document?
    2)Will the client be never IP connected with the server when this
       option is used?

     3) In this paragraph in section 2:
  " During an address renew, the DHCP server may send a DHCPACK directly

   to the allocated address, however packets from the DHCP server may
   not be routable to the address.  Thus, in all packets that the DHCP
   client sends that contain the subnet selection option, the giaddr
   field in the BOOTP header MUST be set to an IPv4 address on which the

   DHCP client will accept DHCP packets (e.g.: the address on the subnet

   connected to the internal network)."

     When you say "Thus, in all packets that the DHCP....." , do you
     mean the packets for renewal only or all the packets ( DISCOVER,
REQUEST etc. ) literally.

      Moreover, how a client is supposed to know "an IPv4 address on
      which the DHCP client will accept DHCP packets " and whose address
it is exactly.

     I am a newcomer in this field. Please help.

    thanks and regards,
   Ajay Bansal.