Subject: [dhcwg] ddns-update-style and dhcp renewal

From: bao <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 17:07:22 -0700

I followed the recommendation to use dhcp 3.01rc8. However, the config
file for this version is not the same as that of 2.0xx. It requires the
use of "ddns-update-style ...".

What are the options for this line??

Currently, I have "ddns-update-style interim". This allows dhcp to
start, however, it always complains in the log file about "Unable to add
forward map from client.domain.com to server_ip: timed_out".

The second problem i'm encountering is when a lease is going to be
expired soon, the client owning the release  requests for a renewal.
This does not work and so the client loses its IP eventually. The log
shows many DHCPREQUEST from client and DHCPACK from server.

Although dhcp documenation says it's a must to have rules allowing
broadcast packets (67 and 68) through the firewall, I don't have this
enable and other machines (mostly 98) have no problem. The client having
problem is an NT, while other NTs also work fine.

Thanks for any pointers

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 20:20:43 -0400

The dhcpd.conf man page describes the possible values for ddns-update-style.
    You probably want 'none'.

If you are trying to renew across a firewall, and it's not working, it's 
probably because the firewall is blocking some of the packets.   If you 
deliberately chose not to follow the directions, there is some chance that 
this choice is what is causing the problem, although I will admit that the 
way you've described it, that doesn't seem to be the problem.   But please 
try following the instructions exactly and see if that fixes the problem.

If you have further questions, please ask them on the [email-masked] 
mailing list - this is the IETF DHC working group mailing list, which 
exists to discuss the DHCP protocol, not specific implementations of the 
protocol such as the ISC DHCP server.   :'/