Subject: [dhcwg] Static IP's vs. DHCP for NT/Win2K servers

From: "Handy, Norman W." <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 13:59:08 -0400

My Distributed Systems Group is proposing using MAC address resolution and
having DHCP assign IP's instead of using static ip's in our WinTel
environment.  What are the benefits and what are the drawbacks of using this
type of scenario.  We use over 180 WinTel servers (all Compaq and Dell) and
all have static IP's.  Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.
 
Norman Handy
Network Services Architecture 
Norfolk Southern Corporation

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 18:52:26 -0400

In general, I wouldn't recommend doing this.   You are adding a common 
point of failure to your system - if DHCP goes down for longer than half 
the lease interval, the servers will start to fail.

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg