Subject: [dhcwg] Predictable DHCP

From: "Matthew Wong" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2002 13:40:01 -0800

Is it possible to use DHCP to assign IP addresses in a predictable manner?  For example, is it possible to use the MAC address of a NIC so that DHCP always assigns a specific IP to a specific MAC address?  This or something similar would help.

My situation is, essentially, this: our company maintains a mobile computing network.  Basically a 15 port router with 15 laptops.  Each and every machine needs to be kept identicle with the exception of their IP address.  This makes maintainance and upgrading easy (usually done with a Norton Ghost Multicast session).  The problem is that I need to assign IP address for each machine.  I.E. DHCP would work but I want a static IP situation without the configuration hassels!

Is there a workaround or a software package that I should be aware of?  Also, can anyone recommend a software package that loads a new image at startup (discarding changes to the system but maintaining working status)?

Thank you,

Matthew K. Wong

MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: Click Here

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: "Kostur, Andre" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 13:51:30 -0800

Most DHCP servers that I'm aware of (Incognito's, ISC, Microsoft) can do
static DHCP assignments based upon requesting MAC address.  About the only
DHCP servers that I know of that can't do it are embedded DHCP servers.

-----Original Message-----
From: Matthew Wong [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, April 2, 2002 1:40 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [dhcwg] Predictable DHCP

Is it possible to use DHCP to assign IP addresses in a predictable manner?
For example, is it possible to use the MAC address of a NIC so that DHCP
always assigns a specific IP to a specific MAC address?  This or something
similar would help.
My situation is, essentially, this: our company maintains a mobile computing
network.  Basically a 15 port router with 15 laptops.  Each and every
machine needs to be kept identicle with the exception of their IP address.
This makes maintainance and upgrading easy (usually done with a Norton Ghost
Multicast session).  The problem is that I need to assign IP address for
each machine.  I.E. DHCP would work but I want a static IP situation without
the configuration hassels!
Is there a workaround or a software package that I should be aware of?
Also, can anyone recommend a software package that loads a new image at
startup (discarding changes to the system but maintaining working status)?

Thank you,

Matthew K. Wong